What's new

Dealing with J6P & videogaming...(long) (1 Viewer)

Iain Lambert

Screenwriter
I know that Morgan's posts can be troll-like from time to time (top tip Morgan: don't say consoles suck. Ever. Even if its the Wonderswan Color someone will disagree with you, and 'suck' is such a bait), but really, do we need personal attacks like that?

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I said that the DC library sucked FOR ME, not in general. I don't like sports games or racing games, which means all the 2K games and Metropolis Street Racer and all the other games in those two genres were pointless for me. Almost all the DC games I have are great games, which is amazing since it was only alive for 2 years. Then again, Shenmue and Ecco were not that great, which surprised me because they were Sega's big two games (besides Sonic and Virtua Fighter, which also weren't the best of their kind). I have to honestly say that the best DC games (that appealed to me) came from third party developers in general. Yes, Sega had some great games and some ok games and some bad games, but all the good games I own besides about 2 or 3 were made by a third party. Games like Marvel vs. Capcom 1 and 2, Dead or Alive 2, MDK2, Power Stone, Rayman 2, Resident Evil: Code Veronica, and Soul Calibur.

Did the DC suck? No. Did all of its good games appeal to me? No. Was it worth the money? Yes.

Joseph Young

Screenwriter
In my ever so humble opinion, the DC's library was extensive, eclectic and not confined to two or three genres. For instance, I happen to love puzzle games of all shapes and sizes, and the DC had a modest amount of those.
I know that the use of the term "J6P" was decried in another thread very recently, but I happen to think it's a suitably visceral term, much more effective than 'Aspect Ratio Hampered" or some such nonsense (IMO). :rolleyes
I can understand your frustration with these shoppers, especially at a place like BB, which on its best day resembles a Sunday afternoon at the zoo. However with the exception of some of your extreme examples, many of these shoppers are merely trying to cater to the oft-changing whims of their kids. They're not savvy, but we shouldn't take them to task on what they're asking about the respective systems; rather, the attitude with which they go about making a choice.
The problem that I experience (and I'm still in my 20s) is the 'holier than thou' Comic Book Guy posturing of these guys at EB and Software Etc. I have to brace for impact whenever I walk into one of these stores to ask if the Gamecube is in yet. They look at me like I've been on Mars for not pre-ordering and then proceed to give me vague shipment information. ("In a week or so we'll get 4, then a few days later maybe 3, then after that maybe 2." -actual quote) I remember one Software Etc employee telling some customers in August that they wouldn't be selling any more playstations until January 2002. So misinformation goes both ways.
Your frustration is duly noted, however. I don't envy anyone working in the gaming areas of B&Ms this time of year.
I Salute You!!!:emoji_thumbsup:
Cheers,
Joseph

Jon_B

Screenwriter
"Then my kids aren't getting THAT for Christmas!"
Can you imagine if television was just coming out? "You mean you have to pay more money to another company to get more than a few channels? Then my kids aren't getting THAT for Christmas!":laugh:
Jon

Brad_W

Screenwriter
I HATE sports and racing games, but I do have an extensive DC library. I see where Morgan is coming from and he did say the library sucks for him. And that is whom the opinion should matter to... him. The DC games that I own are:
Sega Smash Pack Vol. 1
Seaman (a good waste of $20)
Tomb Raider: Chronicals
Resident Evil Code: Veronica
Spawn
Shenmue
Star Wars: Jedi Power Battles
Mortal Kombat: Gold
Illbleed
Tomb Raider: The Last Revelation
House of the Dead 2
Carrier
Tony Hawk Pro Skater 2
DinoCrisis
Morgan,
Not one sports or racing game.
I WILL NOT buy an X-box right now because of:
A) I don't want to spend another $300.00 on a videogame system.
B) Almost EVERY launch game right now for X-Box is a sport or racing game :rolleyes:
I will be waiting for the price to come down and better games like Shenmue 2 (good god next year) to come out.
And laugh if you must, but I will be getting the GameCube this christmas (from my wife) because we are dying to play Rogue Leader! Plus, it's only $200.00.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Brad-

I agree with you. Once Sega has a significant amount of games on the X-Box, the price will be justified. Only one or two good launch games doesn't justify $300 for me, but with the GameCube having the same number of good games, the $200 is justified, especially since I probably won't get it for another few weeks (by then, there will be several games I want).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks