Dealing with dandelions?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by John Watson, Jun 3, 2003.

1. John Watson

John Watson Screenwriter

Once that white ball of seed is waving in the wind, its waaaay too late.

But does anyone know, is it useful to cut off the heads at earlier stages.?

For example, while they are still bright yellow flowers?

How about, when they are tight green tufts, with white showing at the top, just before they seed.

Does cutting the heads off at that stage at least prevent the seeds from being fertile?

2. Bryan X

Bryan X Producer

If you want to control the dandelions, forget about just cutting the head off at any stage.

What you need to do is actually kill the entire plant. Either dig the plant out (making sure to get the entire root) or apply a broadleaf herbacide.

You can spot treat with some sprays that will kill the dandelion and not your grass or you can apply a fertilizer with broadleaf weed control.

3. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

I use Scott's Turf Builder Plus in the spring when I fertilize -- it contains broadleaf weed control. Then I use Ortho brand weedkiller on the few rouge dandelions that pop up afterwards -- it kills the entire weed, but does not damage most types of grass. As long as you zap them when they are yellow, they will not distribute their seeds. The Ortho weedkiller usually works in about 24 hours.

If you are going to pull the weed out instead, make sure you get the entire root (as Bryan stated), or it will just grow back. The root can be several inches long. That's why I use the Ortho weedkiller instead.

My wife laughs at me every spring, watching me curse any dandelion that has dared to appear in the lawn.

4. Craig Robertson

Craig Robertson Supporting Actor

i use Weed-B-Gon hose end sprayer. works on almost everything, but you need to keep it off your ornamentals 'cause it works on them too.

5. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

6. John Watson

John Watson Screenwriter

Mr Lee, hehe, good 'un.

But guys, or any biologists out there, I'm still curious to know at what stage those litle white seeds become capable of being millions of new plants.

I have near an acre, and pulling them out by hand is not an option, so I'm kind of hoping mowing does some good. [​IMG]

7. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

8. Bryan X

Bryan X Producer

9. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

I use some K-gro weed % Feed from Kmart. It works great. When the eventual rogue springs up I sprinkle some on and it only takes a day or so for the thing to die.

10. Tony Whalen

Tony Whalen Producer

Gotta agree with everyone... mowing and/or cutting heads off will do nothing, save a very short-term cosmetic fix. You need to kill the plants if you really want to be rid of them...