What's new

Dealers in Canada with the Infocus X1? (1 Viewer)

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
My dad has his heart set on the X1, but Im still wanting to check it out this weekend make sure everything's fine and dandy...

Anyways, buying from the states is not worth the extra duty and taxes, so we're deciding to buy in canada.

I've checked out a few sites:
- Projectors Canada in Vancouver only has one left, but the PST is killer.
- QuebecAcoustic is backordered till the new year... If it weren't for that, its quite a good price.
- NCIX.com has it, but again, PST is killer
- SoftMagic.ca and ProjectorPlus.ca has it, for about the same price, if i don't find any other dealers, one of these two will most likely be the ones that i buy it from. that is, if they have it in stock (hopefully)

Thanks

Craig Woodhall

Supporting Actor
Nick,

you can buy it from Atic on W.Broadway. they are a place for cheap computers/parts that is very popular for the prices but a little shabby on service. if you bought the X1 and had a problem, i think you just drop it off at an Infocus service depot so support from ATIC wouldn't really matter. They have great prices check them out ATIC

Also, I demoed one from Sharps Audio/Video on 1st avenue by Boundary, they were about $100 more but a better company, i would assume. look that one up in the phone book. if it was me though, i would call ATIC and see if they have it in stock, if not, i think they can get anything next day.

Craig

JohnnyG

Screenwriter
Early January is the quote I'm getting from the distributor on new orders, so if you want one before the holidays, better act quickly (I have no stock).

brentl

Senior HTF Member
I was looking at Softmagic too Nick.

It looks to be around $1500 GST and shipping included.

Now do I wait for Infocus to have a deal:)

Brent
I'll be waiting till after Christmas most likely anyways!

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
The cheapest price i found was at cendirect.com unfortunately they're out of stock, but they're getting a shipment in December 15... However, its the cheapest price i;ve found yet, $1450 after all's said and done, from quebec shipped to BC... Now we play the waiting game...

I just realized i had not checked out projectorplus.ca (i've seen projectorSplus.ca) when i mistyped it... they have it in stock currently (ships the same day), but their price-quote line was not open :angry:, so now, if they have a cheaper/similar price, i wanna find a way to cancel my order from cendirect... but now i gotta wait for them to gimme a price quote first...

Unfortunately, they said on their site since they are below MSRP, it may affect the warranty, or omething like that...

brentl

Senior HTF Member
Tell me what happens Nick. Since I'll be waiting till the new year that $1450 price is startig to get tempting.

My problem is I'm guessing that the Epson s1 will go on sale for $1000 again at BB, and at that price the $300 savings over the x-1 makes it tough to buy!

Sure the x-1 is a better projector, but 25%??

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Yeah, the S1 price is mighty tepmting, however, the X1 is just a much better value... i heard that the S1 doesnt have a zoom, so its fixed, which means the positioning has to be exact with no leeway... not sure if thats true though, that its a fixed lense

Today was my last day with the demo X1, i took some pics last night before i had to give it back...
http://www.sfu.ca/~nns/matrix.jpg
http://www.sfu.ca/~nns/matrixme.jpg
http://www.sfu.ca/~nns/t3.jpg Yeah its fullscreen.. the place i rent it from only had the fullscreen one :angry:
http://www3.telus.net/sonick/stewie.jpg

Its gonna be a long 15 days... and i got FINALS to study fo as well :angry:

EricWT

Grip
A bunch of my friends bought them at Costco, apparently around the same price you are mentioning. It would be worth checking out if you are in a hurry.

Eric

SamCK

Agent
I just hooked my X1 up this weekend. Ceiling mount. Bought from soft magic - good service.

Things I've noticed since buying which may make me go with a different brand in the future.

1. Light spill. A problem with this projector. On a 120 inch diagnonal screen, there is approximately 1 foot grey halo at the bottom. The picture is quite good however.

2. On/Off button. The remote on/off only powers the unit into standby mode - the fan still runs. You physically have to climb up and turn the switch on the ceiling mounted projector. I'm considering wiring a switch to the ceiling outlet.

3. It's 4:3 output which can be modified to 16:9. I'd likley go with a wide screen standard output in the future.

4. I bought the package from softmagic, ie with 4:3 screen. I now realize I would have liked a wide format screen.

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
I saw someone had the S1 on for $999 in a flyer this weekend (could be BB, FS or Staples?)

Apparently Link Removed here in town has the X1 in but I'm not sure what his price would be.

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Wow, looks like infocus is gonna ship out their next batch of X1's december 15th, as three different dealers I contacted have given me that date...

One dealer just called me to see how my purchase is going, and is attempting to get his price to that of CenDirects and Softmagic, too bad he's in-province (thus, PST). However, the CustomerService seems to be pretty good, and if he has it in stock, i think we may be willing to spend that extra $ for the effort they put into getting our business...

Sacha_C

Second Unit
SoftMagic told me they are expecting some on dec 8th, what did they tell you? They are in my province but if they can get it the 8th its worth the extra $100 to me, plus they said I can go pick it up to save on shipping.

DavidY

Supporting Actor
A local London Drugs had an Epson S1 running on the floor. Screen door effect was very apparent. This effect didn't disappear until I was at least 2X screen widths away. The 400:1 contrast ratio is more suited for a business projector than a HT setup.

Dave

FrancisD

Auditioning
I picked up an X1 from Projectors Canada yesterday. Andrew there is very helpful and is a big fan of the X1.
Very impressed with the unit. Though I am building a dedicated HT the room is quite small, so I was very concerned with how good the picture was going to look from a viewing distance of 8 ft for the front row seating. Obviously that is a factor of screen size, but I was able to shoot a 100" diagonal picture on the screen and from that distance it looked great.

cheers,

fd.

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
I just called ProjectorsCanada... Damn you francis, you bought the last one they had! haha.. The guy who answered said if i had called a day earlier, they would've had it hehe... ohwell, they're gettin more in on the 10th...

He quoted me with $1350, quite a good price... If only this was alberta with no PST :angry:

Im gonna ring up NorthShore AV see what they can do for me... Maybe they'll bump the price own a bit if Sascha and I buy from them hehe

brentl

Senior HTF Member
Doesn't sound that good Nick. Since we can both get one shipped taxes INC for afround $1450.

1350+15%=1525.50

If you feel like swallowing the $75 I guess

B
The REAL question is .. For the extra $100 is it worth it to get the Benq PB6100??

Sacha_C

Second Unit
Where can you get one for $1450?

I there any place in Canadathat has the Benq 6100 in stock? I would think it's worth the extra $100, espcially since I find the X1 psysically looks ugly and fat, it's the ugliest projector I've seen, the Benq is one of the nicest I've seen, just that is worth the extra $100 to me :D.

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
If you get it form CenDirect, and is out of their province, you just pay shipping ($12.95) and GST, which saves you on the PST which is around $100.

I dont know getting it a couple days earlier for a bit more? Yeah, actually doesnt sound that great...

Argh, just when we decided on the X1 and you throw in another projector to consider... The features seem similar to the X1 after going over to projector central.
Where can you get the BenQ in Canada? Any features that make the benQ better than the X1 besides aesthetics? Reviews anybody?

What about this BenQ PB2120?

brentl

Senior HTF Member
Actually I think that they are pretty comparable expect the Benq is MUCH smaller and better looking.

Try Projectors Canada

Just a thought.

Maybe we should WAIT for the NEW X-1 replacement??

Brent

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sharel
Recent bookmarks