Dealer on Yamaha vs. Denon

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Martin Rendall, Sep 28, 2004.

1. Martin Rendall

Martin Rendall Screenwriter

Hi,

I visited my dealer the other day, and the sales guy was adamant that Denon had "better" amplification that Yamaha. From this I immediately concluded that the markup was better on the Denon. But then I got to wondering, is it true anyway?

Martin.

2. Rob Kramer

Rob Kramer Second Unit

Denon may have better "circuitry" or better build quality than Yamaha, but I wouldnt say better "amplification". I think that was an odd point to bring up by the dealer. And yes, I would say that Denon brings in a higher profit over the Yamaha.

While we are on the subject of "amplification", Pioneer and HK would clobber both the Denon and Yamaha. They just have more "real" power (beyond the listed specs).

Was that the best "feature" that the dealer came up with?

3. Leo Kerr

Leo Kerr Screenwriter

Curious... Pioneer must have reformed their ways.

I remember when their first DD capable amp came out, all those years ago, that it was trying to drive 5 x 100w from a power supply rated something along the lines of 'not to exceed' 120w.

I'm not trying to start a war here, but what is this "real" power beyond the specs?

Leo Kerr

4. anthony_b

anthony_b Screenwriter

I'm a converted Yamaha man, and I don't think their specs are suspect. I've owned Denon and Onkyo units and all units are very good. I'm enjoying very much the neutral sound of the Yammy.

5. Shiu

Shiu Second Unit

Martin, it does appear that in Canada you get better deal with Yamaha receivers, e.g. RX-V2400 versus AVR3805. Very similar specifications but the Yamaha cost much less. As to which one has better amplification, if you believe in those Sound and Vision, Home Theatre, and Audioholics reviews, you can search out the bench test results for Yamaha models such as the RX-V1400, RX-V1400, and comparable Denon models AVR3805, and AVR2805.

6. Drew_W

Drew_W Screenwriter

If you want to buy Denon cheap, keep your eye out for refurbs on eCost. Final cost ends up being about half of Canadian retail (that's the final final price after taxes).

I hope your dealer's not Bay Bloor Radio. Everyone there is full of shit.

7. Jake S

Jake S Stunt Coordinator

both are 40 point lines, both are good...the 2400 & 3805 are comporable...I have found Yammies to be more reliable over the years and better sound and more balls (all opinion)...I don't sell either line now but sold both where I worked previously for 9 years...now that place incentivises the salesmen more to sell a few brands over others...that's why I left, if you can't sell what's best for your customer and still make a living then, count me out ..most A/v shops pay a straight percentage of profit and most of the comporable equip is so close in margin that there isn't any reason for a salesman to suggest one brand over another