What's new

dealer has 53hs20/30 in stock (1 Viewer)

StephenP

Stunt Coordinator
Just thought you guys would like to know my local dealer called me yesterday to let me know a few of these had come in. I'll be going at lunch time to check out the situation, and if I like it, it will be delivered this afternoon. I'll update this thread with any findings, etc. I plan on getting the hs20. Does anyone here know if the old set locks in widescreen mode for a 480p signal? One of the main reasons for choosing 4:3 is for the new videogame consoles due out shortly, and the fact that I cant afford a hd receiver for a while. If 480p locks into 16:9 mode, I may as well get a wide model. I'll let you know.

StephenP

Stunt Coordinator
Well, he didnt have the unit on display, because he got 4 in yesterday and there is only 1 left. It is being delivered when I get off work today after 4:30. It turned out to be the HS30, which I paid 2300 for. I'll let you guys know about it later tonight or in the morning, I have a lot of stuff to hook back up.

J

John Morris

Wow! $2300 seems like a great price. The best price I've seen on this set is around $2400, FROM cRAZY eDDIES. Where did you buy this set for that price?
BTW, congrats on your new HDTV! Please get back to us and let us know how it looks in comparison to the 53HS10 with regard to image quality and line doubler.
------------------
Take Care,
merc
----------------
DFAST, 5C, DVI, HDCP, SafeAudio, Macrovision and Lewinski!!!

StephenP

Stunt Coordinator
I am friends with the owners of a local shop in my home town. He said it was less than Sony would allow them to sell it, whatever that means. I think he was planning on selling me the HS20 for that price, but all he got in was 30's so he just did it anyway. I have only seen the HS10 in stores, but I will surely give my opinions of the new model features etc.

Jason Caudill

Stunt Coordinator
I have yet to see the hs30 series yet but i have had a chance to play with the 53hs20. I think the word I am looking for is disappointed!
Unlike the hs10 it does not have a built in screen protector which I thought would be a standard at this point. I think that DRC is much less harsh on 480i material this year and things don't look near as soft as they did last year.
Another concern I have are the component inputs. It does have two and both are suppose to handle 1080i. I hooked up an older panasonic hd tuner (not sure of the model #) and the sony would not hold the picture. It seems to be very picky in this manner. Since both inputs would handle a 480p signal from a dvd player I am assuming that both inputs will handle 1080i. Overall I would say not a bad picture, but not worth the list price of $2500. I will check the set with another tuner asap and let you know what kind of results I have.
Jason

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks