What's new

Deadwood: Season Three (1 Viewer)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I believe they said it had been six weeks since the events of the last season. And there was also the ten day break between episode 2 and 3 this year. I guess all told it's been about eight weeks since William died.

Mary M S

Screenwriter
"was there a typical amount of time?
One year. For both re-marriage and wearing mourning. A few widows back-in-the-day chose to wear black until the day of their own death. (Queen Victoria)

Mark, thanks! Could not remember the term (duplexing.) I had my husband to laugh with, although I think, it does bemuse him - at times- that I get it!

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
"I love every moment Al and Wu spend together"

And I loved Bullocks conversation with Al as well. When Bullock relayed to Al how when he told Wu he wanted to see the body Wu replied with "Swidgen" and stood in the way and wouldnt move. Tims delivery of that was so straightfoward and humorless that it was really funny.

Also Al telling Jack Langrishe that the sheriff was a "fucking insane person" when pointing out his house.

Brian Cox is so great to watch "Im barely speaking to you":)

And watching the rerun I picked up on the Hearst dialogue Mary pointed out much better than the first time. I was just too tired on sunday and alot of it went over my head on first viewing. But I usually watch each episode twice anyway.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
A historic question. When the telegraph guy said he went to Chicago and Wu coming back from San Fran. Did they go the entire way by stage or was their a train involved? And how long did it take?

Just curious.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
I think 6 weeks have passed between season2 & 3 and the shooting in Als place was 10 days ago according to the last episode.

Garrett Adams

Supporting Actor
They probably travelled by train. The Trans Continental railroad was completed in 1869 and the Deadwood timeline is around 1877 (Hickok was murdered in 1876).

Charlie Campisi

Screenwriter
I had a power outage Sunday night that fritzed my tivo, so just caught up last night. So it seems trixie is no longer whoring, but she is really turning into a conniving bastard just like everybody else. She's nowhere close to the abused pet of Al's we saw in Season 1, ep. 1. She's come a long way. Her interaction with Sol and his perplexed looks at her seeming irrationality are hilarious.

Hearst is one scary bastard. Who would've thought Major Dad/Rick Simon could be so frightening. Great acting by McRaney. I really thought Mr. Ellsworth blew it in the meeting with Hearst, but he knew exactly what was going on. His 'I told you so' discussion with Alma after her meeting was terrific. Great expression of her confusion over whether or not she'd been threatened or restrained from leaving. She was terrified.

One other scene not mentioned where Hearst came off as scary was his meeting with Bullock. 'I serve notice on YOU.'

The fact that Aunt Lou speaks some Chinese may come back to bite Al in the ass with his plan to pretend that he is the only person in camp that can interpret for Wu when speaking to Hearst. That could be real trouble if Hearst catches Al in a lie when Al seems to be pretending that he is willing to submit to Hearst's will.

Steve Felix

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve Felix
Joanie's been in crisis since the beginning and I'm not surprised to see her this way now. I can't read Cy at this point, but I'm enjoying the attempt. Hearst is craaaazy.

Every character is compelling, and I can't wait to see Brian Cox's role play out.

Jim Rankin

Stunt Coordinator
Whoa - The Captain speaks! That was amusing to finally hear his voice.

Another great episode, anyone else getting the feeling that Brian Cox's character is up to something slimy??

todd s

Senior HTF Member
Phil,
With regards to your spoiler...
Yes, Wyatt Earp will be appearing in a few episodes soon. The actor playing him was one of the guys from Queer as Folk.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
"I loved his little asides to Tolliver in their meeting with Hearst"

Notice Al stood against the wall during the meeting with Cy and Hearst. Didnt want to get ambushed from behind again.
Not good news for the Doc - I had a feeling it was TB when he spit out the slime last week.

" I LOVED seeing Bullock tested to his limits"
I got a kick out of when he asked Sol for a fair price and for the Livery and as soon as Sol quoted him one he bolted out the door again, not even interested in what else Sol had to say.

The season is flying by:frowning:

Raasean Asaad

Supporting Actor
Phil -

I am kind of torn and I apologize for even asking this but can you please edit your post. While I know you are not trying to offend but still outside of the context of the show it is an offensive term, even in relation to the context of the show it is a little offensive to me. I do not consider myself thin-skinned by any means but some convictions I do have. I do apologize again for asking this but I would greatly appreciate it if you would do this favor.

Phil Florian

Screenwriter
I am not trying to pick on Henry or Raasean but this is a character name as identified BY the character in the show that this forum is discussing (as you noted in your posts). This is also a character based on a real person by that same name (real name: Sam Fields...and as far as I know, he is only once referred by that name in the show and not by himself). My recommendation if that word offends is a) don't read posts in the Deadwood discussion, especially if his character becomes a more important one (like last season where he had a much more involved role with Jane and Hostetler) and b) don't watch Deadwood with the volume on because that is only one of MANY offensive words in the show. I don't want to cause offense but since I was not referring to anyone who posts on here by that name or even a race of people by that name (as do many in the show) I can only say it is up to the Admins of the board to tell me to delete it (or, as they do with other illegal posts, do it themselves). I know you know this as you stated as much in your post. I am curious how you stand even a minute of Deadwood with this aversion to this word, as nasty as it can be used at times. But this isn't my Forum and if Admin says it goes, off it goes...they should just let me know how to refer to this character in the future. It is interesting and worthy of discussion, though. I am really curious how people think on this, especially considering the use of the word in the show in general (as well as other forms of profanity which pepper the show).

Phil Florian

Screenwriter
Tod, thanks for the answer. Good to know. Very cool, in fact.

One other scene of interest is the growing tension in the Elsworth household. As he continues to try to "dominate" his wife in what I suspect he thinks is the expected way for a husband to treat a wife we see Alma grow tired of this treatment. I think he means the best but where he used to simply give kindly advice and wisdom, he now expects it to be followed vs. just hoping so. Interesting switch. Her having to step in to cool his and Trixie's jets was nice. It is HER bank, after all.

Jon, I agree, Bulllock was a hoot with how fast he wanted things done. It wasn't that he wanted justice, he just wanted it out of his hair. Looking at the show a second time, I really liked the wee bit with Tom and that guy running for sheriff as they both realize (in their own ways) the entire reason that he wants the job is that he can be a fireman! Too funny. Tom working hard to convince himself that he too wants that responsibilty was great (his angry "And get two helmets" as if it were a horrible burden was cute).

I am curious, is it considered a spoiler to discuss real-life outcomes for these characters? For example, we know how all the "real" people that these characters represent by simply going to Wikipedia or other similar sites or books. Should that discussion be spoilerized? Just curious what others think on that.

PhilipG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
PhilipG
Phil, I think it's one thing for a period character to use such language, and quite another for a modern-day critic to use it.

Raasean asked you very politely. If it was my post, and even if I wasn't offended by such a word, I'd edit it out as a courtesy to a fellow member, not wait for a moderator to tell me. But maybe that's just me. :)

Back to Deadwood. Slow ep for me; I did enjoy it, but not as much as the previous few. What, nobody got whacked?! Sorry, wrong thread! ;) :D

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I'd consider it a spoiler. I think of it this way: If you don't know anything about the subject, Wild Bill's murder would have been quite a shock and you wouldn't have wanted to read about it before it happened.

EDIT: And I completely agree with Philip's post.

Everlasting Gobstopper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mark

I'm shocked nobody mentioned the scene where Alma looks out the window to see Leon tipping his hat to her, then her making an excuse to go outside and take the air. I can understand she married Ellsworth in order to protect her virtue with a baby on the way, but to lust after LEON!? To go from Bullock to Ellsworth to Leon is quite a steep drop, if you ask me.
Ah well, maybe she sees something in Leon because they're both junkies.

Phil Florian

Screenwriter
Mark, I don't think she lusts after Leon...I thought it was because she was using again and he was basically providing her fix. She is trying to escape the loveless marriage she is in and drugs seems the best way out for her. I don't think Leon is long for the world if Elsworth (or Bullock, to be honest) finds out.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks