What's new

Deadwood Season 2 dvd?? (1 Viewer)

Justin Bauer

Supporting Actor

I had the same problem with the Season 1 discs...I had to listen to it on 6 channel stereo to fix the problem. The 5.1 audio was strange in that the music was muted and could hardly be heard, but the surround FXs in the camp were excellent.

I figure it is my Yamaha receiver because I never had the problem before the new receiver.

My DTS track on BOOGIE NIGHTS is funny on the Yamaha...it plays NO music at all.

I did not have this problem with my SOPRANOS sets, only season 1 of DEADWOOD is screwed and now likely season 2 as well.

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member

Justin, I also have a Yamaha receiver. Very interesting...looks like that may be the problem. I'll pass it on to HBO.

Gord

Justin Bauer

Supporting Actor

Very unfortunate. I did not discover it until it was basically too late to get a new brand unit. I like my receiver, but this problem is strange. I have not had the time to contact Yamaha about this problem.

How do you have yours hooked up?

I am currently using the optical connection, I may test out the coaxial one sometime.

Justin Bauer

Supporting Actor

Best buy had a nice deal for season 1 and 2 for about $95.

I picked up season 2 at best buy for $63...they were going fast.

Jari

Stunt Coordinator
Guys, what Yamaha models you have? I've got RX-V650 (european model). Sadly I can't test Deadwood: Season 1 or 2 with it since all my speakers, receiver and other stuff are packed away (we're building our house) and I can test those dvds until late summer.

BrianTV

Auditioning
Real Name
Brian Woyan
Unless HBO renews Deadwood for a fourth season of some kind I won't be buying any more seasons of Deadwood.

MarcoAD

Stunt Coordinator
I'd love to say the same thing, or I should say my wallet would love it but this is a show, three seasons or not that I will enjoy visiting again in the future so they are must buys!

JayDerek

Stunt Coordinator

exactly. Plus if Seasons 2 and 3 sell like gangbusters on DVD, it might be a way to help 'persuade' more seasons.

~Jason

Terry H

Second Unit
I don't blame you. Season three is done and I have no doubt there will be numerous dangling plot-lines that will be unresolved forever. I HATE networks that do that to a show ... or to the fans. I will never support their actions by purchasing the abandoned show on DVD. I thought HBO was better than the "run of the mill" networks that do this sort of thing routinely. Clearly, I was wrong. They are exactly the same as every other network.

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member

I have my Sony player connected via coax, and my Panasonic via optical, and both have the problem. I also connected one of my portable players to it via coax, and it had the same problem, so it appears to be the receiver.

Very, very strange. I've never seen a problem like this before.

Gord

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member
Okay....I solved my problem with the audio. I won't get into specifics because it'll make me look like a complete moron. The set is fine.

Gord :D

Mike Heenan

Second Unit
Is there a reason they have 6 discs on this show for a boxset? 12-13 episodes can easily fit on 4 discs I'm sure.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I just assumed it's so there's more space for video/audio information. Beyond the usual video and DD 5.1 track, there's about two commentaries per disc as well. The 12 episodes are spread over five discs (disc six is for special features).

Dave Simpson

Second Unit

Gord,

Plenty of people make goofs with their gear from time to time (last month, after installing shakers in my new couch and making all the connections, I had no output from either the shakers or the sub. Turns out I had made the connection on the back of the receiver to the sub jack of the 5.1 inputs; that ain't gonna work, now is it? I indeed felt like a complete moron). Perhaps you might save someone else a little future trouble if you detail your difficulty. Just a thought...
Closer to the topic at hand, this second Deadwood box is first-rate all the way. PQ is at times jaw-dropping, methinks. Cheers.

DS.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa

Well the Cynic in me would say it's to justify the $99 Msrp.

But if you look at the disk thru DVD Shrink or something most of the individual episodes are about 2400 MB. Quite big for a 50 min show, especially one as Dimly lit as this. Some of the disks are 3 episodes a disk and they are about 1700mb. I agree that they could've put this on 4 Disks but perhaps the higher bitrate makes the darker scenes standout because as dim as the show is at times the DVD's are never murky.

I look forward to getting it on a Hi Def Format

Mike Heenan

Second Unit
Ahh I see, thanks! I'm watching it from netflix, so I didn't know the last disc was just extras. So it makes a little more sense but still when you look at it it seems a waste of space, but I guess a higher bitrate is better of course. That would be cool, I'll definitely get it in Hidef

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks