What's new

Deadwood Ep 8 (1 Viewer)

Gordon St Pierre

Stunt Coordinator
Didn't anybody watch Deadwood last night ?

Was a pretty brutal episode ...Not sure what was with Trixie at the end ..Is she in love with Al?

Sounds like an interesting little twist next week

Heres a short synopsis

episode 9, "No Other Sons or Daughters"

With annexation looming, Swearengen calls a meeting to set up an informal government. Bullock and Alma compare notes on Ellsworth, and each other; Farnum gets a special-delivery letter from Hickok; Utter offers Jane a job; and Stubbs prepares to make a go on her own, with Tolliver's avowed blessings.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
It seems Trixie and Al are sort of in love, in their weird twisted way. The whole episode Al was looking for her and it couldn't have been just for what she overheard from Bullock and Garrett, since he had already decided to stop pursuing the claim.

What was with the con-hooker and the pro-hooker? So the latter is bi or a lesbian or something and had some sort of feelings of the girl, and she reminded her of herself when she was younger, and the girl was playing off of that just to steal some jewelry? Obviously something happened that made her rush her plan at great risk- what pissed off the girl in particular that made her screw up her little heist?

Gordon St Pierre

Stunt Coordinator

I think the original plan was to rob both the Gem & the Bella Union & get out quietly ..But she realized that Cy wasn't buying her story (she settled into that type of life to easily)& decided to try a quick score & get out fast ...but it didn't quite work out the way she planned ;)

Travis Hedger

Supporting Actor
I don't know who my favorite character is yet. Al, EB, or the Doc. They are all so wonderul. EB was friggin hilarious last night, especially after Alma declared the bonanza. You just knew he was biting his tongue.

Todd Terwilliger

Screenwriter
Another great episode. Pretty brutal what happened to the kids but that's what happens when you take on the heavies and lose. Swearingen is my favorite. He and Trixy definitely have a very strange relationship.

CharlesD

Screenwriter
Agreed another excellent episode and very good characters Al, EB, Calamity Jane and her friend "Doc fuckin' Cochran"

Looks like they are going to try and put together a city government in the next ep... "I'm Al Swearingen and I approved this fucking message" :D

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H
How many episodes left? Looks like we'll just get around to annexation and Bullock being named Marshall by the end of this season - leaving room for another season.

Those kids really paid the piper.

John_VI

Second Unit
A thorough ass-whipping and being shot in the head was too good for the girl. I hated her from the instant she stepped on the screen. Overall I loved the episode. I had recorded every episode since the beginning on TIVO but had never watch one until last week, when I sat down and watch all of them in two days. What a great series....so far!!!

I think Al is my favorite character, too. And Doc Fuckin Cochran is great! My wife thinks it silly and stupid, though. She swears that people couldn't have talked like that in 1876. I don't argue with her, I just enjoy the show. The fucking swearing has become part of the cocksucking background for me. I only fucking hope that none of that fucking potty mouth rubs its hairy fucking ass off on me.

Marc Fedderman

Second Unit
I know that HBO has ordered a second season of the show (thanks for the update Gordon) and deservedly so. Deadwood , The Sopranos , and Arrested Development , comprise my personal holy troika of current shows. Won't be seeing any of these for a while after the HBO series finish their respective runs, so Six Feet Under better be good.

As for the topic at hand, I think this was one of the better episodes, but they've all been good. The writing has been as sharp and probably more consistent, than its better publicized and acclaimed schedule-mate. I especially like the banter between Swearengin and Farnum (who's clearly a lot smarter and more industrious than he lets on). I also enjoyed the scene where he could barely contain his rage at the widow's good fortune.

The savage beating of the two grifters was, simultaneously, difficult to watch and impossible to turn away from. I wasn't sure what to make of the relationship between Flora and Joanie either. The girl was clearly using Joanie and Joanie certainly has Sapphic sensibilities, shall we say, but this didn't seem entirely sexual. Freud would have a field day with her character (and probably misdiagnose her :D ).

Great show and great discussion.

KyleC

Supporting Actor
I missed the first 15 mins (darn Mother's day :D). I started watching when Doc found Trixie trying to commit suicide. What'd I miss?

CurtM

Grip
Calamity Jane (Robin F**king Weigert) Will be on a CBS show this month. See following thread (cut and paste)

relayer.proboards30.com/index.cgi?board=Actress&action=display&num=1082186139

Has anyone seen her in anything else before? I would like to see her play a different role.

Curt

CurtM

Grip
E. B. Farnum has quite the resume. I went to IMDB to look him up. He was Larry of Darryl and Darryl fame on Newhart.

Curt

This show is a treat. Last night's was particularly odd. Al as the comic relief?! That was unexpected.

I'm thoroughly engrossed and I look forward to this show more than the Sopranos. Glad to hear another season is in the works.

I haven't counted, but I'm beginning to wonder if this show might actually have more swearing than the Sopranos (quite an accomplishment :D )

clayton b

Stunt Coordinator
It's gotta have more swearing I would think. Although it has lessened a little bit. Remember the first episode, with that Scottish dude that went around saying 'fook' all the time? "What the fooking hell is this fooking shit all the fook about?" LOL

Gordon St Pierre: Not sure what was with Trixie at the end ..Is she in love with Al?

I don't think she's in love with him, no more than a battered wife is in love with her husband after being abused for years and years. She wants to leave the life, and get away with the little girl. But she lacks the self esteem to do it. She doesn't believe she's good enough to be anything but Al's favorite whore.

Jim Rankin

Stunt Coordinator
I loved the doc's character - he was hilarious last night:

Giving the guy with the sore throat a shot, "Honey and Tea", "For This?" rubbing his arm, "You are a stupid son of a bitch!".

Chris Brunner

Second Unit
John- ROTFL Great post. I didn't see it coming!!!

I look forward to every moment Al is on the screen. His one-liners and liberal use of profanity crack me up big time. "There better be a paying dwarf underneath you!" and "I'd rather try and touch the MOON than to figure out a whores thinkin'!” are the types of comments that make me feel ashamed that I enjoy such a despicable character.

My wife, who deplores excessive violence, frowns upon vulgar language, and has never been a particular fan of westerns, looks forward to this show each week almost as much as I do.

I hope HBO is planning a spectacular DVD set with LOTS of fucking extras.

C

Jason Walstrom

Supporting Actor
That's exactly what I thought of Trixie. She thinks her place in this world is that of a Whore and to think anything else is foolish. I think her suicide attempt was a feeling of not being worthy of loving that little girl and being stuck at the gem the rest of her life. Her going back to the gem i think is her being realistic to the fact the how long do you think Al would let her stay with Alma.

Jeremiah

Screenwriter
Man, Al is so freaking funny at times it makes his character even greater. The guy is such a d!ck.

"How did you do on that blood stain?"
"I scubbed it real hard."
"I didn't ask how hard you scrubbed the fuking thing, I asked how did you do on that blood stain!" (not an exact quote I'm sure)

Is the handicapped woman and Al related(cousin?)? Would Al get on his hands and knees to scrubb a blood stain if she was just hired help? Part of me thinks he would(which makes his character even better) and part of me thinks he wouldn't.

Those 2 kids got what they deserved, and Sy is the meaniest guy on the show. I think the girl reminded Joanie of herself when she was younger.

Great, great show.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks