Deadening front wall

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Gary Hunter, Jan 6, 2004.

1. Gary Hunter

Gary Hunter Agent

I'm in the process of building my theater and am planning the acoustic treatment now. I want to deaden the front wall and want to know what the members have used. I want something cheap, but effective. I plan to have a curtain cover the wall but when it is open to reveal the screen it will show.

Thanks,

gary

2. Andrew Steel

Andrew Steel Extra

Gary,
    A couple of inches of fibreglass with an inch or so of air behind it will work well for mid and high frequencies.

What other acoustic treatment have you planned?

Andrew

3. Gary Hunter

Gary Hunter Agent

I am planning to place absorbtive material at the first reflection point and some diffusion along the rear walls. The floors will be carpeted. I read here some time ago where someone used felt on the front wall, and others fiberglass sheathing board. Wanted to know how those have worked out for them, or any other ideas. I can always order some sonex type material for that wall if nothing else.

For bass I'll likely experiment with some bass traps of some variety as well.

Since this room serves dual duty as stereo music room/theater I will not deaden it any more than this.

Gary

4. Mike V

Mike V Stunt Coordinator

Gary,

Check out my solution here:
    http://home.comcast.net/~myk249/wsb/index.html

This was fairly easy to complete and I am extremely happy with the results. Total cost for treatment was around $250.00. If your interested I will be glad to provide you with more details on installation.

5. Gary Hunter

Gary Hunter Agent

Mike,

Looks like you used quilting batting firred in then a black cloth material over this? Looks great. Did you hear this type of treatment before going that route or just decide to do it on your own?

6. Gary Hunter

Gary Hunter Agent

Andrew,

What fiberglass are you referring to? I looked at the fiberglass boards at Home Depot today. They would be simple to install and cover but are they compressed to tightly to do the job? Would regular loosely rolled fiberglass be better?

7. Mike V

Mike V Stunt Coordinator

Gary,

I did not hear this type of solution before I did it. I took the jump based on the many positive comments on this type of treatment both here and over at AVS. As I said before I am glad I did as this has made the biggest difference as far as upgrades are concerned in my room.

8. JayPo

JayPo Stunt Coordinator

Mike,

The 2 pictures are an excellent illustration. Can I ask what kind of batting you put on the wall and how it was attached?

Also, did you use acoustically transparent fabric and how was it attached?

Thanks.

9. Mike V

Mike V Stunt Coordinator

JayPo,

I put up 2 laters of 8 oz. poly batting attached with a staple gun.

The fabric I used is speaker fabric from Joann's Fabric. About $7.00 a Yard. It is definately transparent however, it is NOT fireproof as the GOM fabric is. This may be an important consideration for you in choosing your fabric.

I attached the fabric to the edges of the strapping via staples then stretched to the next piece of strapping and stapled to the edge of that piece. The top and bottom of the fabric was stapled to the baseboard and nailers placed at the top to ensure it stayed in place. These staples were covered with the trim you see at the top and bottom of the wall. This took some planning during the installation so that the panels were put up in order to hide the staples. Basically, I completed the front wall first then "butted" the side panels to the far edges of the front wall to hide the staples there.

10. JayPo

JayPo Stunt Coordinator

Mike,

Thanks for your time, you've helped a lot.

11. Mike V

Mike V Stunt Coordinator

No problem JayPo. Good luck with your room!

12. Paul Seward

Paul Seward Agent

All,
    I have a question regarding sound deadening the front wall. I completely covered the front wall with velvet curtains. They stretch from the ceiling all the way down to the floor and from the left wall to the right wall. They are attached by mounting a 2"x4" and stapling the curtain to the top. So there is a 1.5" space between the curtains and the wall.

Would it help if I put sound board behind the curtains? Or is that just overkill? Do you think the velvet curtains deaden it enough or do I need more absorbtion?

The rest of the room is treated with AphaSorb boards wrapped in GOM at the various points of reflection.

Thanks in advance,
    paul

13. Tom Blizzard

Tom Blizzard Stunt Coordinator

This works great.......... Georgia Pacific calls the 4'x8' panels "Hushboard." I didn't use the plywood as it wasn't necessary........ I used inexpensive convulted (sp.) open cell foam......

http://www.avscience.com/acousticpannel.htm