Deadening a room simply

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Franklyn, Jul 7, 2001.

1. Franklyn

Franklyn Auditioning

I just completed my HT room. After using resilient channels with 1/2" drywall to isolate the sound from the rest of the house I find the room too "hot" acoustically. I mean when I clap my hands I get a ringing echo. In professional rooms when you clap your hands the sound just disappears-no echo. I can't afford those acoustic wall systems, are there any simple treatments to dull down the room? Tapestries, curtain panels etc? Does anybody understand what I am trying to explain? My wife doesn't. Sonically everything sounds too bright.

2. Julian Data

Julian Data Second Unit

I understand what you are saying!
    Hang some cloth on the walls.. What's the floor like? Carpet or hardwood? IF it's the latter, put some carpet down.
    ------------------

3. Franklyn

Franklyn Auditioning

Yes, I've got carpet on the floor, with pad over bare concrete. Would it help if you angled the fabric? That is put a 45 degree bend out into the room as to how it hangs. Put some backing behind the fabric?

4. Julian Data

Julian Data Second Unit

I would try to hang some fabric - with taste that coordinates with your room - at the reflections for the speakers.
    Particularly, behind the mains and on the walls. use a mirror against the wall with some moving away from the mains as you are seated at the listening position. Look at the mirror and if you have see the driver(s), there's your reflection point.
    ------------------

5. Deane Johnson

Deane Johnson Supporting Actor

You can increase the effectivness of the fabric by putting some foam or something behind it. I made a frame with 1x4s, took pieces of 2'x4' ceiling tile that had fiberglass on the back, turned the fiberglas outward, mounted them in the frame and put cloth on top. It makes a big difference in sound reflection.
    Next time I'd use 2x2 lumber and 2" high density foam. Some tests I ran indicated it did the best absorbtion job.
    I think it would also be possibe to take a sheet of 2" high densisty foam and just wrap it with the decorative cloth and hang it on the wall.
    Deane

6. Brian Steeves

Brian Steeves Second Unit

Another solution is to go to your local home center and get ahold of some fiberglass panels that are used for A/C ductwork and plenums. You can cut it to any size you like and then cover it with a fabric of your choice. I believe this is very close to what alot of sound deadening companies use.
    Oh yeah, the panels come in a few thicknesses and if I remember correctly they come in like 4'x8' and 4'x10' or 12' pieces.

7. Robin Smith

Robin Smith Stunt Coordinator

From an attractiveness perspective, you could make some floor to ceiling columns out of some of the products mentioned above covered in a fabric that coordinates with your wall colour and install them for a quite professional and movie-theatre-like look (by columns I mean flush against the wall not cylindrical).
    This is what I was thinking of doing when I get around to buying a house and building an HT room.