DEAD ZoNE Season 3 Recall?

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by RandallV, Jun 8, 2005.

1. RandallV

RandallV Second Unit

I bought DEAD ZoNE Season 3 yesterday and I’ve had to return it twice. Today will be the third return. Each disc in the set displays weird white dashes along the top of the letterbox window. I wonder if a recall is necessary. If my third copy is defective (and the store verifies this on one of their DVD players) what should I do? Demand a refund and wait for another pressing? Shop for a copy at a different store?

Finally, has anyone else encountered this and does anyone have contact information for Lions Gate?

2. Nick Graham

Nick Graham Screenwriter

Haven't picked up the set, and likely will wait to do so now, but word of this is spreading around the net. Dread Central has a story and confirmation on it.

3. RandallV

RandallV Second Unit

Help! I've searched the site and can't find anything about DEAD ZoNE.

4. Pete Battista

Pete Battista Screenwriter

Pete
    I searched the site too... and seen nothing about the set either. I do have this set on order... if I get it anytime here soon I will be sure to report back here with what I got. I know that is little help at this point.

5. RandallV

RandallV Second Unit

Pete, thank you.

6. Pete Battista

Pete
    no problem... now I am anxious for it to come... need to see that all is ok with the set! I just hope it will come in the mail today!

7. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

I got the set yesterday and the first disc was fine (but I didn't listen to the commentaries yet). I'll probably go through discs two and three in the next couple of days. Hopefully everything will be cool with mine[​IMG]

8. EricTB

EricTB Stunt Coordinator

My sister bought the Dead Zone Season 3 and it has the same effect. At first I thought it was her DVD player but now I'm watching it on mine and it's doing the same thing. I guess this will be a recall after all.

9. Jason Borchers

Jason Borchers Second Unit

10. Jonny P

Jonny P Supporting Actor

I am not even sure I want to admit this, but I have seen the same thing on "The Newlyweds: Nick and Jessica" season 1.

I was watching the widescreen video for "Sweetest Sin" on the DVD player on my Macintosh (they use Toshiba drives) and there were the flickering white lines above the upper portion of the "top black bar" on my ViewSonic LCD monitor.

Note: the lines didn't show up on my regular Sony DVD player at all.

11. EricTB

EricTB Stunt Coordinator

Would it be even worth exchanging my copy at Wal-Mart for another copy just to see if I get a good copy of it?

12. RandallV

RandallV Second Unit

This was posted over on the Dead Zone forum:

As of today, The Dead Zone: The Complete Third Season DVD is fully functional on virtually all of the 600 plus DVD player models in the marketplace To date we have identified 15 DVD players that are affected when viewing the episodes in 4x3 Letterbox. The 15 players identified to date are: Panasonic DVD-RV32, Samsung DVD-N501, Go Video DV2150, JVC XV-S45, X-Box, Panasonic A-120, Zenith 2201, Samsung DVD-P241, Samsung DVD-V85K, Sanyo DWM-370, Sony SLVD300P, Toshiba SD-4900, Toshiba SD-1800, Toshiba SD-K600, and Apex AD-3201.
    We deeply regret the inconvenience that this may cause owners of one these players. On these players the upper matte is not flush with the picture by 1 line of pixels, resulting in the thin white line on the top of the window. We are fixing the identified problem and will replace the individual discs. Please call 1-800-797-1699 ext 2250 to request replacement discs.
    If you do not own or play the DVD on one of the DVD players that we have identified, your DVD should look normal. Once again--we regret any inconvenience to owners of one of the 15 players noted above. If you have any questions or comments, please contact us at [email protected] (address will be active by 6/11)

13. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

I don't have one of the above listed players and I've gone through all three of the DVDs including the special feautres (I haven't had time for commentaries yet though) and everything was fine on mine. Good luck to everyone with problems!

14. EricTB

EricTB Stunt Coordinator

So it's just DVD players and not the Discs. Thats odd. I played them on my Toshiba SD-1600 and it still does it. To me all DVD's should work on DVD players no matter what. Guess it won't be worth taking them back to Wal-Mart for an exchange.

15. RandallV

RandallV Second Unit

My DENON shows the white lines. Of course Panasonic manufactures DENON, so if you have a machine made by one of the companys listed it might give you trouble with these discs.

I'll be getting the replacement discs. BTW, it is my opinion that if a DVD doesn't play properly on *every* DVD player it is defective.

16. Tony Kwong

Tony Kwong Supporting Actor

I dont see the problem on my HD RPTV, most likely due to overscan. I see it on my computer software players, 4x3 direct view in squeeze mode, and front projector. I havent tried it on the 4x3 with DVD player in LTBX mode.

17. Pete Battista

Pete
    Well even though we know the deal now... I just wanted to chime in... everything looks good on my side... wondering if I should get the replacement anyway... who knows what player I may have in the future.

18. RandallV

RandallV Second Unit

I've read on the Lion's Gate forum that people have been told to expect replacement Season 3 discs this month. Has anyone received anything - the mailer to return the defective discs or even the new discs maybe?

19. Will_B

Will_B Producer

I noticed the flashing white line on the final episode of the last DVD. Not sure if it was present on other episodes and I just did not notice it until now or what.

My player is the Panasonic 563a. Playing in progressive scan mode, componant output, player set for regular 4:3 display.

The flashing line is not particularly bright though, so it doesn't distract. It is more like a flashing grey line. It isn't even a solid line, it is a series of dashes.

I don't think I'll bother with the exchange.

20. Paul Stoddard

Paul Stoddard Auditioning

Has there been any update on the replacement process for Dead Zone Season 3 discs? I've e-mailed Lion's Gate twice, and even called on the 800 number that was posted somewhere, but have heard nothing in return. My Denon DVD-2910 shows the dashed white line at the top of the frame very clearly.