Dead to Rights - What the heck?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Joel Mack, Aug 22, 2002.

1. Joel Mack

Joel Mack Cinematographer

Anyone else "playing" Dead to Rights?

It really started off nicely, showing you how to perform all the cool moves and weapons and whatnot. Then, shortly after you play "Parappa the Strippa" (to borrow from another review I read), everything goes to hell.

The second level takes place in a prison, and basically throws away everything you learned in the first level, and reduces the game to mindless button mashing as you participate in several 15-20 on 1 fights, and asinine mini-games that have you working the speed bag, doing heavy lifting in the prison gym, and arm wrestling. There may be more of them, but that's all the farther I am in a couple of hours of gameplay. All of this in the name of collecting enough packs of cigarettes to buy something that will eventually aid you on your journey out of jail. I fear I may never make it, because my intent is to return this piece of crap in exchange for Mario or Monkey Ball on Tuesday.

The developers of this game should be shot for ruining it so early on. Then again, I suppose it's better than ruining it after I've alreay exhuasted the 14-day return policy.

Very disappointing. Back to "Buffy" for now...

2. Paul__A

Paul__A Extra

Well I got this game yesterday, but I didnt have any time to put into it until today. Guess I'll place my thoughts here as well. I'm into the game about the 4th level, and while I like alot of the game, the bad parts are REALLY bad. I agree with Joel in that the minigames are tedious and the fighting system is awful. You basically have 3 or 4 combos that you get to use, over and over. Sad thing is the hand to hand combat couldve been a blast since you often have tons of enemies surrounding you at once, but with a limited amount of moves and basically no way to defend/attack in multiple directions, you end up getting swarmed, hit in the back and frustrated.

On the upside, I really find myself enjoying the gunfights. Tons of enemies, loads of weapons, and a good amount of difficulty. Alot of the gunplay is really intense, and I love using the human shields.

Overall Dead to Rights isnt what I hoped it could be, and if the later levels are also plagued by extended hand to hand fight sequences like the prison level, I'll be exchanging this disc.

3. Dave Falasco

Dave Falasco Screenwriter

From the review I read, the prison level is by far the worst, and uncharacteristic of the rest of the game. If possible, I would try to get past it and play at least the next level before making your decision.

4. Joel Mack

Well, after spending another fruitless hour trying to get that stupid guard's picture back from the 20 or so guys guarding it in Cell Block D, I give up.
    Fuck you, Namco, give me my money back. This game removes my will to live.
    I don't ever recall being this fustrated this early on in a game.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

So what happened to Namco? They used to be pretty reliable for putting out good games...

-Dave

6. Paul__A

Paul__A Extra

The game does get better after you pass the prison level, although I've had to play additional (although thankfully short) fighting scenes. The levels after the prison that i have played are great fun, cool locales and lots of gunfire and goons to contend with. I'm having a blast with the game now. You just have to grit your teeth and get past that 2nd level, something you shouldnt have to do.

7. John B.

John B. Stunt Coordinator

where can you buy a game and return it within 14 days opened?? i didn't think anyone allowed that these days...

8. Joel Mack

Electronics Boutique, baby, Electronics Boutique. I never shop anywhere else... [​IMG]

9. Joe michaels

Joe michaels Second Unit

10. Travis Kolesar

Travis Kolesar Second Unit

I rented this and Buffy at the same time. I really wanted to like this game, but after alot of frustration similar to what others have experienced, I just gave up on it. And with Buffy being as good as it is, I'm happy I only dropped $5 on this.

Oh yea, the stripper mini-game horrified me. I think it's been along time since I've seen such strange character animations. Which is a shame, cause it was kinda funny/cool at first.

11. Peter Manojlovich

Peter Manojlovich Second Unit

Some clarification on EB's return policies. You have 14 days to exchange the game for another title which then becomes a final sale title and is noted so on the receipt.

12. Joel Mack

Peter's correct. In my case DTR became Super Mario Sunshine, which I absolutely adore...

13. Scott Van Dyke

Scott Van Dyke Supporting Actor

I've been going into BlockBuster every few days and looking for the "garanteed in-stock" Xbox titles.

When they're out of stock, I get a voucher. Only one per day, but no limit after that.

That is how I rented Outlaw golf for a month straight for free, and that is how I will be getting this game for free as well!

What a scam....

14. BrianB

BrianB Producer

How do you find out what's "guaranteed in-stock"?

15. Scott Van Dyke

Brian,

Just as with the movies, there will be a sign above the games. As with the Block Buster by me, they'll have like ten copies with a sign above. Maybe not all stores do this.?

BTW, great sig.

16. BrianB

BrianB Producer

17. Scott Van Dyke

I am absolutely loving DTR. I didn't mind the mini-games in prison at all. They were a welcome vacation from all the hand to hand fighting. The endurence and strength gauges for me were extremely simple to pass on the first try. Reminded me of the old Track and Field video game from the arcades. I thought the arm wrestling cinematics were very cool.

The only thing I didn't like was the fight with the "head guard", and the "tattoo" guy.
    these parts got extremely fustrating.

When I finally escaped through the showers and disarmed my first gaurd to get a gun, man what a great feeling, after all that time in prison and no gun!

It was then that I decided to start handing out the cans of whoop-ass that I had put on clearance.

I think I actually like this game more than Max Payne. I love the human sheild and it's "early disposal of..." option.

Anyone else like it?

18. Edan W

Edan W Stunt Coordinator

I've been having alot of fun with it too Scott although I agree with your assessment of Tattoo...those dumb ass guys with him that you couldn't kill were really frustrating

The variety in the gameplay is a good thing and I like the fact that some sections are crazy hard.

Got a question for you...have you unlocked any of the other disarms? I don't think I have and I'm not quite sure how it's done.

19. Scott Van Dyke

Edan,
    I'm at the part where you come out of the basement of the gambling den, and have to face snipers and a mess of baddies. I must have spent 2-3 hrs. before I learned how to do it, only to:get to the gate and mess up on the lock-picking
    and have to start all over again.
    Now I'm in the brothel. I haven't seen any new moves, but then again, I don't usually disarm people. I've rented the game, so I don't have any instructions.
    Question to the people: About how far am I to finishing the game? I've got 5-6 hrs. in already, and something tells me I'm not even half way done.
    I love this game!
    I can't wait for True Crime. This genre is my cup of tea.

20. John Kilroy

John Kilroy Stunt Coordinator

I'm loving this game.

I'm not very good at videogames, so I usually get a lot of mileage out of the titles I choose to buy. I have probably been playing DTR for 20 hours, and am in the graveyard. Normally it's boring to keep re-playing the same levels, but I'm really enjoying the "attitude" of this game. I can almost feel Jack's disdain for an empty weapon as he chucks it to the side while doing a slow motion dive.

Another moment I loved was when I was up against a whole bunch of enemies that just wouldn't die, no matter how rounds I pumped into them. They must have had armor on. And then I discovered that I could just run up to them, press B,B, take them hostage, and kill them with one .45 round to the back of the head. I did it to about ten enemies in a row. Gleefully, I might add.