Dead / Stuck Pixel, how do I repair?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Ron-P, Sep 14, 2005.

1. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    I have a 2.5 year old Panny PT-L200u and last night, right in the middle of the screen a stuck green pixel showed up during a movie. I took it apart and cleaned it but to no avail, it's still there.

Is there a way to do a home repair on with this or do I need to send it in? Any tricks to possibly black it out or hide it somehow?

2. John S

John S Producer

You can't.....

You have to replace the offending digital pannel inside the display.

If it is one pixel, how notice-able is it???

one out of thousand or even millions right?

3. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    Unfortunately, it's directly in the middle of the screen, about 1/3 down from the top and bright green, very noticeable.

4. Evan M.

Evan M. Supporting Actor

Unfortuanately John is right, the panel needs to be replaced. Also, if it is in waranty (which I doubt...Panny's are usualy waranted for 1 year) the manufactor does not have to cover a single stck pixel. It usually has to be a cronic issue that effects a lot of pixels. This unfortunately is a common thing with some LCD's...eespecially "older" ones.

5. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

Long shot, you could connect up a VCR tuned to a blank channel that plays snow instead of a blue screen and after an hour there is a slight chance the pixel will become unstuck.

Another idea is to put a tiny black spot (made from a fragment of a videocassette or diskette label?) on the screen where the stuck pixel is projected.

Video hints:
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

6. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    I'm going to make some calls to a few local repair shops this morning and see what this will cost. If more then a couple Franklins I'm going to upgrade to a newer PJ and sell this one "as is" on ebay.

Allan, I thought about painting a black dot on the screen for now. Is there something in that link I need to look for?

I do have a spare VCR sitting around so I may try that trick.

7. John S

John S Producer

I have also heard of displaying constant static unsticking pixels. I have not experienced it myself, but certainly worth a shot on it for sure.

8. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    It'll be a bit of work to try but I'll give it a shot. I need to record the static first from the TV in my house and they play it in the HT. My theater is dvd only.