Dead Ringers (Criterion) coming back?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mike Broadman, Jan 6, 2003.

1. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

Hey all,
    Does anyone know if the Criterion DVD of Dead Ringers is coming back into print? I found it at DVD Empire, listed as "On Order." I'd rather wait for it to come back then to find it on e-bay.

2. Jean-Michel

Jean-Michel Supporting Actor

AFAIK the rights have gone over to Warner Bros. Given that they have never licensed anything to Criterion I suspect DVD Empire just hasn't been bothered to delete it from their catalog yet.

3. Matt Everett

Matt Everett Stunt Coordinator

I would argue that the Criterion is well worth full retail even, if you like the film. It's got plenty of extras, including an explanation of how they "twinned" Jeremy Irons so both brothers could be in the same frame at the same time.

I occasionally see this in stores, but it's becoming much more rare. I don't know where you live (didn't look before responding) but the Borders on Ponce de Leon in Atlanta had one copy about a month ago.

4. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    Morgan Creek owns Dead Ringers, not Warner.

5. Jean-Michel

Jean-Michel Supporting Actor

When the disc went OOP several sources said that the video rights had gone over to Warner Bros. and they had no plans to re-release it at the time (they still don't AFAIK). Given that everything Morgan Creek does nowadays is with WB this seems like a fairly reasonable statement.

6. Mark Cappelletty

Mark Cappelletty Cinematographer

FYI, the Criterion laserdisc box set (which I've got) is the only place to find the hour-long Cronenberg short "Crimes of the Future" on legitimate (non-bootleg) home video.