What's new

Dead Ringers - 15th Anniversary Edition Question (1 Viewer)

Jamie Cole

Stunt Coordinator

Interesting. I sure couldn't imagine WB greenlighting something like Dead Ringers.

I don't know what makes the film so appealing to me... the subject matter really doesn't have much appeal. It's just such a pleasure to see great artists do what they do. Cronenberg is brilliant, of course, but Irons' performances are still probably top ten all-time by an actor. That he was recognized by Oscar for a lesser performance in a lesser movie the very next year says a lot, as does this line in his acceptance speech: "And... many of you will know why.... thank you David Cronenberg."

jason:g

Stunt Coordinator
Yes! I received my DVD from dvdsoon. Pity that the Canadian edition misses out on the booklet/insert that came with the Criterion edition. Otherwise it's nice. :)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Maybe Warners will release M. Butterfly (the last Cronenberg movie on DVD) that day too.

As for the author's "At least Warners is showing they understand what a classic this film is and not just giving the public a bare-bones edition as they usually do." comment, I think that can be chalked up to the armchair-critic-who-knows-everything disease that is rampant on the internet. He doesn't need to be right, he just needs to say it so other people will read it and think the same (incorrect) thing:)

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
For a street price of around $15, this will be a nice addition to the Criterion. I'll keep the Criterion for the Cronenberg commentary, but I'm looking forward to Irons' commentary as well as the new anamorphic transfer. The Criterion and Anchor Bay DVDs were struck from the old Criterion laserdisc transfer (which was done 10 years ago).

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
Wow, this is great news! I'm a bit disappointed that it's to be framed at 1.85:1 instead of 1.66:1, but hey... anamorphic! (It is possible that horrorchannel got the 1.85:1 ratio wrong?)

I'll also be keeping the Criterion for the Cronenberg, et al., commentary, but hopefully this will be yet another typically wonderful transfer from Warners.

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
The old LD transfer looked great in its time, but I can't imagine that Warner would have trouble outdoing a 10-year old transfer. I can't wait.

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
Looks like the Canadian 15th Anniversary is still a must if you want all the extras (and director-prefered framing).

Here's the back of the DVD, courtesy of DavisDVD:

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
It will probably be closer to 1.78, although Cronenberg prefered the 1.66 for the Laserdisc transfer, he seems to understand 16x9 transfers. The excellent Spider DVD is 1.78.

It will be interesting to see a DVD Beaver comparison on this one. It's a fine film, a true acting tour de force from Irons.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks