What's new

Dead Pixels? (1 Viewer)

Ive narrowed it down to dlp samsung or gwIII.I can live with the blacks in the gwIII but the pixel thing scares me.My question is can pixels die?I mean once u have tv up and running with no dead pixels can they just go bad?

Danny Beck

Stunt Coordinator
I'll just say this. I've asked this same question many times and never got a perfect answer. From what i've gathered though it is certainly possible that pixels can go out over time. It's not likely that it will happen to much but over years i'm sure you'd lose a few. Whether or not you'll even be able to notice them from a normal viewing distance is another story.

On another note, I just returned my 42" GW III and got a 34" Sony XBR910. The fan on my GW III was getting louder and I was told that was the warning sign of a light bulb problem. I basically just got scared of the new technologies and I don't want a DLP or LCD Projection until they've perfected them. At this point I don't think that is the case. If you can deal with having a 34" screen I can assure you the XBR910 will give you video quality that is as good as you can find right now. Clearly better than the GW III.

I just can't recommend either a DLP or LCD right now but if you absolutely have to buy one of them i'd go with the LCD Projection. It's a more stable technolgy than the DLP and i've heard Sony has fixed the light bulb issue on the GW III's they are now making. That may be true but it wasn't enough to quell my fears and i'm happier now. I lost 8 inches of screen size but I gained a lot in image quality.

Danny

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

There are 3 million pixels ... yes they can die as surely as tiles fall off the shuttle.

regards

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
I just recieved a new Panasonic PTL-300U LCD projector. There's a dead or stuck pixel (blue) just off center. Not really noticeable on light scenes but very distracting on any dark scene.

Are there ways to fix this? Thanks for any input. :)

Michael TLV

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

Only way to fix this is to replace the lcd panel. Not covered by warranty except in extreme cases.

Fact of life with fixed panel displays.

Regards

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Thanks Michael. That's what I figured. I've read where others have had the pj replaced if the pixel is centered.

Michael TLV

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

The repair is at the discretion of the TV maker ... so it cannot hurt to ask some times ...

The worst that could happen is that they say no ...

Regards

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks