What's new

Dead or Alive 3 addon disc coming (1 Viewer)

Jeff Peake

Supporting Actor
since I cant snag the link, here is a cut and paste job from http://www.computerandvideogames.com/
---------------
DEAD OR ALIVE 3 ADD-ON CD HEADS STATESIDE
Rumour is rife that American Xbox owners will be getting an add-on disc for glorious beat 'em-up, Dead Or Alive 3, in the near future.
17:37 News has surfaced that US owners of the Xbox machine will soon be able to get hold of an add-on disc for Dead Or Alive 3 that will introduce the wealth of extra features set to appear in the retail edition of the game's Japanese release.
Full details on the rumoured extra features have yet to be announced by the title's publisher Tecmo. We got hold of a spokesperson for the US branch of the company, but unfortunately, despite persistent tickling with our feather duster, he refused to comment - apparently an official statement is on the way.
Presumably the UK won't be suffering this fate. With the Japanese Xbox launching three weeks earlier, we can assume that we'll be getting the same edition of Dead Or Alive 3 as they will be in the land of the yen. We'd better be anyway, or we'll be having words!
We'll know for sure when we get the official line from Tecmo.
Stuart Bishop
------------------------------------
Anyone hear anything else about this?? I wonder if you install this on the hard-drive, or put the CD in to play.
Jeff Peake

Oscar_R

Second Unit
hmmm, this upgrade better be free or something. Further proof they rushed the game out. It's like owning Dead or Alive 2 for the Dreamcast all over again. They released it in the states first, the Japan gets the upgraded and improved version. Samethign with 3 all over again!

Jeff Peake

Supporting Actor
I agree. The game is so shallow, it is amazing how little content there is. It takes all of about 15 minutes to finish story mode....

I like the game however, my fiance and I play it alot. It is great fun to play multiplayer. I just wish there was more content in the single player game.

Jeff

Doug Miller

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Doug Miller
Personally, I like the idea. Yes, I'm disappointed that the game wasn't "complete" when released, but they were up against a deadline. This was an announced release game for Xbox. Yes I will be disappointed if the disc is more than $5 or $10.

BUT, here's what I'm not disappointed about. #1 -- PS2 can't do this. Without the built in hard-drive, you can't update games. With the Xbox you can. PS2 = What you see is what you get. (I OWNED a PS2 and loved it, I still like the PS2, so I'm not an anti-PS guy, I agonized over buying the Xbox) #2 -- Future potential. How would you like to update baseball rosters during the year without buying a whole new game? I can picture this having REALLY COOL POTENTIAL! I know that I didn't like Triple Play last year, I had to create my own Ichiro since the game came out before Spring Training. I would have LOVED an update disk mid-season with Ichiro and all the trades on it.

For me this really comes down to cost. Updates are NOT a new game, and shouldn't (and I doubt) will be priced that way.

Doug

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
#2 -- Future potential. How would you like to update baseball rosters during the year without buying a whole new game?
What, you mean just like what Sega did with the 2K series on the DC? ;)
Personally, I'm curious about the pricing of the DOA3 'update' more than anything.

JoelH

Stunt Coordinator
I am very happy to hear about this. I, too, felt that the "extras" were lacking and while I enjoy the game, I think more costumes, etc., are a good thing.

One interesting thing about this -- I seem to recall that Microsoft explicitly stated the hard drive was not there to allow fixes after a game is released. At what point do "add-on" features becomes fixes? If new costumes are added, or a new location featured, that seems like an add-on. But if they change the difficulty of the final boss, or modify some of the moves of the characters, is this a fix?

I'm sure more will become clear when we get the official announcement, and when the disk comes out.

----

Joel

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
This is exactly what I dislike about PC-style gaming, and the reason I prefer console gaming.

With console games you buy the game once, and it's a complete package, you know the game will work on the system.

With PC-style gaming, you buy unfinished games then have to keep buying add-ons to them, and have to upgrade video cards and memory and processors every six months to keep up with the current games. What a bunch of bullshit.

It's sad to me to see the X-Box taking the pc-style approach to gaming rather than the console style. There is no reason for them to go the extra mile and put out a complete and polished package when they know they can just sell extra 'features' to the game later, and make some more $$$.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
The PS2 HDD can be used just like the X-Box HDD, but since its not included, it won't be widely supported. If it becomes successful, it will be used similarly.

To tell the truth, a game shouldn't really require an add-on disc unless it is released incomplete (or is a sports game) and the game shouldn't be released incomplete to begin with! Then again, DoA3 could be considered an exception, seeing as how such great graphics could make up for a missing feature or two...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation636
Recent bookmarks