Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Matt Hough submitted a new blog post

Dead of Night (1945) Blu-ray Review
deadonighttop-1024x576.jpg

Continue reading the Original Blog Post.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
I am awaiting my copy now of this excellent film. I went region free to to get this title and Ghost Train on DVD from the UK. Thanks for a great review.

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
Thanks for the review, Matt! I've had the UK Blu-ray for a number of years. From your description, the visual quality sounds exactly the same, though of course it would help if someone had both releases and could visually compare the two.

For those who are interested, the UK Blu-ray has the 75 minute documentary, but not the commentary. So far in their Region A releases of Studio Canal UK Region B Blus, Kino has been adding excellent commentaries and other supplementary material not found on the Uk Blus.

Richard Stammer

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Richard
I just received the new Region A Blu-Ray release with Tim Lucas' commentary. I purchased it primarily for Lucas' commentary and am glad to have it. However, in my opinion it is not as pleasurable a viewing experience as the UK Region B Blu-Ray release that came out, I believe, in 2014. This new release may be a 4K "restoration." but little was done to restore it, as noted by the reviewer's description of "more scratches than one might wish...." Indeed, for over the first 9 minutes of the film, there is a very annoying vertical film scratch that continuously runs down the middle of the screen blemishing actor's faces and providing a constant annoyance. The UK BFI release was a true restoration with dramatic reduction, in fact, almost total removal of all film scratches. It is pristine and a constant enjoyment. In fact, the BFI release even has a segment of Before and After restoration videos, something the new release lacks (for obvious reasons). I suggest buying this release for Lucas' commentary, and the BFI release for serious viewing. Of course, a Region-Free Blu-Ray player will be necessary. Sorry.

Camps

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tom
I just received the new Region A Blu-Ray release with Tim Lucas' commentary. I purchased it primarily for Lucas' commentary and am glad to have it. However, in my opinion it is not as pleasurable a viewing experience as the UK Region B Blu-Ray release that came out, I believe, in 2014. This new release may be a 4K "restoration." but little was done to restore it, as noted by the reviewer's description of "more scratches than one might wish...." Indeed, for over the first 9 minutes of the film, there is a very annoying vertical film scratch that continuously runs down the middle of the screen blemishing actor's faces and providing a constant annoyance. The UK BFI release was a true restoration with dramatic reduction, in fact, almost total removal of all film scratches. It is pristine and a constant enjoyment. In fact, the BFI release even has a segment of Before and After restoration videos, something the new release lacks (for obvious reasons). I suggest buying this release for Lucas' commentary, and the BFI release for serious viewing. Of course, a Region-Free Blu-Ray player will be necessary. Sorry.

Thanks for the heads-up, Richard. I have the UK disc and was fence-sitting about buying the new one. Huge a fan as I am of Tim Lucas, I may save my $$ on this one.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
It's easy to tout a 4K "restoration" (read transfer) of anything. You can scan anything in 4K. Do they happen to mention WHAT they scanned, because that, I'm afraid, is what people need to know. And I wish certain companies would stop with the "restoration" malarky already.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Thank you for your review as I viewed this Blu-ray today. It was my first viewing of this film and I really enjoyed it. I thought the video presentation was more of a 3.5 video grade.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cennetkaralowa
Recent bookmarks