Dead Like Me: Season One

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Will_B, Aug 18, 2004.

1. Will_B

Will_B Producer

Search didn't reveal to me a solo thread for the DVD box set of the first season of this Showtime series, so:

Can anyone tell me, without giving away anything from the current second season now airing on Showtime (remember, this discussion is for the DVD set of season one!) why:

Why did Rebecaa Gayheart vanish from the show?

2. MaraKM

MaraKM Stunt Coordinator

Are you asking about the character or the actress? I've never heard that there was any behind-the-scenes reason for the events of episode 5, but, in any event, it hasn't been a factor so far in the current season.

3. Brooke

Brooke Stunt Coordinator

As far as the actor's reasons for leaving. Here's a quote from an interview she gave to the Courier-Journal.com:

Why did you leave the Showtime series "Dead Like Me"?
    It was something I kind of knew when I went in to do the pilot and then, you know, the three episodes ... that I was going to have to leave because I had some other commitments. But there's always the possibility I may go back.

4. Will_B

Will_B Producer

Thanks. Sounds like it was at least semi-planned for. Laura Harris' character managed to find her way into 3-dimensions quickly enough (after initially worrying me that she was just a quick n dirty replacement).

I've just finished the first season set, and just rewatched the pilot with the commentary track on; pretty much the whole cast except for Gayheart and the actor who plays the father. The actors go into the philosphy of the show as much as the creators of the show would have, so in many ways the commentary more than makes up for the relative lack of input from the creators of the show on the set.

I picked this one up on a whim, never having heard of it before. Best impulse buy ever, for me. My housemates are now turned on to the series too! Though I'm kicking myself for watching this so long before the second season will be available on disc though. It's almost enough reason to get Showtime (but I'll save my money for the dvds I think).

5. Nicodemus

Nicodemus Stunt Coordinator

The exact version of the reason why she left was that between pilot and the first episode there was a large gap when they didn't know whether the show's going to start ot not. During that time she signed to do something else and when DLM started, she couldn't keep two commitments and left.

6. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

7. Will_B

Will_B Producer

Michael, I think it's just a matter of there being way too many possible variations on the search function -- 4 modes with two options each, er, that's (breaks out calculator) 8 different ways to search. There should be 2: title only, or title and content. More reliable results that way I expect.

8. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

There are only two ways to search: posts and title. The other setting is for the extent of the search. They're two entirely independent settings.

The real problem is that people are spoiled by sophisticated search engines that do a lot of the thinking for you. The search function in vBulletin is barebones and requires more thought on the part of the user. Here's my standard search advice, which works 99% of the time when you're looking for threads about a specific title:
    1. Set the search speed to "slowest"
    2. Select the option to limit the search to thread titles ("title only")
    3. Whenever possible, search for a single word, preferably the rarest one in a title ("dead" works here)
    4. Use the wildcard character (*) in case someone put the title in quotes[/list=1]
      The other thing people routinely forget to do is to check the review archive. That's pure pilot error.

M.