Dead Can Dance (SACD or DVD-A?)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mike boettner, May 14, 2002.

1. Mike boettner

Mike boettner Stunt Coordinator

I know there are a few of us DCD fans on HTF. Have any of you, or anyone else for that matter, heard anything about DCD coming out on SACD or DVD-A? This will be my deciding factor on which player I will get. Thanks for any help[​IMG]
    Mike

2. Mark E Reynolds

Mark E Reynolds Auditioning

I haven't yet heard a thing - but being that DCD is distributed by Warner, if they do remix a disc for surround, I'd place my Serpent's Egg on DVD-Audio.

3. Mike boettner

Mark,

Welcome to the forum! I'm more interested in the higher resolution of the DCD disc's then them being surround sound.

Do you have the box set?

Mike

4. Sam Hatch

Sam Hatch Stunt Coordinator

It's the curse of audiophile sound formats -- most of the releases that could shine the most on the format are completely overlooked for 'safe' titles. When I first heard of SACD I had visions of Dead Can Dance, Jeff Buckley, Radiohead, Portishead etc. dancing in my head. Do I think there's a snowball's chance in hell that any of those acts (or any other in my 1000+ collection for that matter) will see the light of day on either format? Not really. If I ever saw a Clutch or Type O Negative SACD I would literally piss my pants in disbelief. If I saw 'The Serpents Egg' or 'Within the Realm of a Dying Sun' on an audiophile format I would immediately check myself into a mental health institution for fear of hallucinations.
    Hell, they can't even get 'Dark Side of the Moon' out in non-bootleg form and that's a multi-channel no-brainer! The pop/rock titles so far are just so damned depressing! DTS has a Marvin Gaye disc out, so I'll pick that up, and Metallica's black album is out on DVD-A, but other than that I have all but lost faith. Right now the format is more important than the titles, and it drives me loopy! [​IMG]
    I just saw people requesting Rush DVD-A/SACDs on another thread. [sarcasm] Why would anybody want to go and release something as awesome as 2112 in multi-channel? [/sarcasm] I guess that would be too cool for the likes us consumers.
    Audiophile hardware is much more affordable nowadays, so it's no longer necessary to release titles that only appeal to middle-aged white guys with fat wallets. Nothing against either middle-aged guys or big wallets, but let's see some diversity for cryin' out loud!
    I don't mean to sound so down on multi-channel releases... oh, wait a second, yeah I do! [​IMG]

5. Mike boettner

I just thought i'd bring this back up, since all of the talk of new titles coming[​IMG] Anybody heard anything?
    Mike!

6. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

Dead Can Dance would be perfect for a higher resolution format. It's a bummer it hasn't happened yet.

7. JohnE

JohnE Supporting Actor

I haven't heard anything but I would love to see this happen. [​IMG] [​IMG] I would take any cd, but my personal pick would go for, Within in the Realm of a Dying Sun. But that's just because it's my fav.[​IMG]