Dead Can Dance Box Set

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Robert_eb, Apr 28, 2002.

1. Robert_eb

Robert_eb Supporting Actor

Does anyone here have the Dead Can Dance box set? I would love to get it myself but I already have the laserdisc of the concert and have all their cd's. The only reason I want to get it is for the few unreleased songs.

2. Martin Rendall

Martin Rendall Screenwriter

I picked it up a couple of weeks ago. The DVD concert is good. Dolby surround only but good video quality. It also has 5 music videos. I haven't listened to any of the CD's yet. The book is very nicely done, IMHO.

Martin.

3. Sam Hatch

Sam Hatch Stunt Coordinator

It is a great set, mainly for the handful of rare/unreleased

tracks and the book packaging. The bio piece is a good read, and even though I also have most of the songs on the these 3 CDs, I don't mind hearing them in an out of context 'best-of' fashion when listening for the 'new' songs.

I also have the live LD (and VHS), so the DVD may be a bit of a disappointment. The picture doesn't look that much better than the LD, and the compressed DVD soundtrack obviously can't compete with the LD's PCM track. The chapter stops have changed as well. On the LD, both the songs and interviews have their own stops, but the DVD includes them for the songs only. On the plus side, the DVD has those videos that Martin mentioned. It's not a travesty, but it's not the upgrade I was expecting either.

Overall, the set is definitely worth going for -- especially if you're one of those odd completist types like myself!

4. Zen Butler

Zen Butler Producer

Zen K. Butler

5. Mike boettner

Mike boettner Stunt Coordinator

Dead Can Dance was the best group ever assembled. their music was of no specific type and yet it covered so much ground. I own all their cd's except 1. I have the vhs. the DVD is great!. the music videos on it are very moving to me.I listen to ALL types of music (from death metal to classical) and Dead Can Dance are absolutely the best "music" has to offer.

Mike