Dead bird outside my door :(

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by MarkHastings, Aug 13, 2003.

1. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

I just had to bury a bird I found outside the doorway to my workplace.

I burried it next to a flagpole and made a little cross out of coffee stirrers. Now I feel sad. Maybe it's because I have 2 birds at home that I am thinking about.

R.I.P. little guy. [​IMG]

2. Bryan X

Bryan X Producer

Be careful. The bird could have died due to West Nile.

3. MarkHastings

I was seriously thinking about that. I used a plastic bag and a paper towel so I didn't even really touch it.

Now that west nile has been brought up, do you think I should be worried about it? I didn't come into contact with it. Do you need to actually touch the bird or is it airborne?

4. LDfan

LDfan Supporting Actor

Even if the dead bird had west nile you won't get it. You have to be bit by a mosquito.
    There was a dead crow outside my house the other morning. Called the health dept and they just said to throw it in the trash. They aren't testing anymore birds in the northern Va area because they've already confirmed west nile in the area.

Jeff

5. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    I think it is by blood transfer, which is why mosquitos can transmit west nile. So, as long as you don't have any open sores and didn't touch the bird, me thinks you're OK.

Jay

6. Mitch Stevens

Mitch Stevens Supporting Actor

[​IMG] reminds me of last month, when I did something EXTREMELY stupid. We have these glue traps (for all the rats we have) and I took the glue trap and put it outside of my door because I was going to throw it away later. Well, the next day, I found a poor bird stuck to the glue trap. Needless to say, he was dead. I have no idea how long he was on the trap struggling to get free, before he finally died. [​IMG] [​IMG]

I never felt so bad in my entire life. I love birds to death. I have 3 of them.

7. MarkHastings

That sucks Mitch. Sorry to hear it. I don't think anyone could have imagined that a bird could have gotten stuck there.

8. Darren Haycock

Darren Haycock Second Unit

Reminds me of last summer. I was in my room reading and I heard a bang (as if something hit the house). I went downstairs looking around for what it could've been and saw a bird lying dead on the patio. It flew right into the glass door... [​IMG]

9. MikeAlletto

MikeAlletto Cinematographer

10. Chris Smith

Chris Smith Stunt Coordinator

My Mom has this plant right next to a window in our family room. Birds seem to love this plant because I've seen them, multiple times, attempt to get to the plant through the window. They'd knock into the window, hover off, come back, hit the window again. It's actually really funny.

During last year's really bad snowstorm we saw a bird attempt to fly through a different window at full speed. It didn't make it and dropped dead in the snow. My Mom (a HUGE bird lover) was so upset when she had to bury it.

11. MarkHastings

12. MikeAlletto

Deer will jump through big bay windows when they see their reflection but they usually break through the window unlike birds. When I was little there were numerous stories of deer jumping through a bay window, getting all cut up and running around in peoples dining rooms destroying the place then finding their way out and running off.

13. JustinCleveland

JustinCleveland Cinematographer

Justin Cleveland
    Wow...

What a downer! You guys damn near had me in tears!

14. Jason_H

Jason_H Second Unit

Ahhhhh...this is a sad thread! My girlfriend and I have a quaker parrot named Cosmo that we love to death.

15. Eric_L

Eric_L Screenwriter

When you find a dead bird you really should call mosquito control, the health department or even 911. They will come and examine the carcass to check for West Nile Virus. This is really important and it is not too late for you to do your civic duty.

16. Gordon Moore

Gordon Moore Second Unit

Don't call 911....that's reserved for immediate life threatening emergencies! It really would be wasting a valuable resource.

You're right that you should call Mosquito control, the Health Department or if available a hotline number setup specifically to report dead birds (most commonly crows or birds from the crow familiy are the only ones that interest West Nile watchers anyways...usually dead crows, blue jays, magpies or ravens)

Wear gloves...preferably latex...use a shovel and place it in a plastic bag like a Zip Lock and seal it. Wash your hands and you'll be fine.

17. MikeAlletto

18. Julian Reville

Julian Reville Screenwriter

This morning a male Roufous-sided towhee was playing on my SUV as I was trying to get in. He was having a great time, bouncing from one outside mirror to the wipers, then to the other outside mirror, back and forth. When I got too close, he left. Didn't get close enough to see if he was the red or the white eyed variety.

Last week as I was standing outside burning a butt, a jay came zooming in, chasing a large flying beetle. At first he didn't see me, then ZOOM, a perfect stop and reverse of direction in midair. The beetle flopped on the pavement, and thanked me for saving his life. [​IMG]

Birds are cool.

19. MarkHastings

20. Shawn C

Shawn C Screenwriter

I found a dead mouse in my pool skimmer on Monday....