What's new

Dead and Buried (1 Viewer)

Justin_S

Senior HTF Member
*MINOR SPOILERS THROUGHOUT*

If ever there was an underrated masterpiece, this is it! This gem is one of my top 20 favorite films of all time, and is truly deserving of any praise it garners.

It is very atmospheric and eerie as all hell. The zombies are bizarre suckers who take photos of their victims while they are being mutilated, and I have to say that the needle in the eye death disturbed me a little for some reason. Maybe its how the guy is watching in horror as he's about get it.

The town of Potter's Bluff is one of the bleakest and downright creepiest settings in any film I've seen! The film just oozes with atmosphere, and gives off a very grim vibe.

James Farentino and Jack Albertson (in his final role) both give stunning performances and you can't help but be drawn in because the characterizations are very sympathetic as well as mysterious. Dobbs is a very convincing lunatic, and Jack Albertson plays him to perfection.

The film's outstanding ending also caught me off gaurd, and it was really spectacular. Its an ending that really sticks with you.

The zombies are easily the most frightening zombies I've seen in any film! There's just something freaky as hell about them, just the way they act or something. And look for Robert Englund in a pre-Freddy role as one of these eerie undead.

I treasure this film greatly, and it is extremely underrated! I can't wait for BU's upcoming DVD of this classic! Are there any other fans of this underappreciated gem here?

Justin_S

Senior HTF Member
So there aren't any others here who've seen this film? I pity any horror fan who hasn't seen this classic. Anyhow, guess I'll only find discussion on this film at the horror boards I frequent. :p)

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
I loved this film when I saw it, it's still one of the best horror movies I've seen. But it was so long ago that I saw it now that I don't have much more to say about it. :)

I'm getting the DVD for sure.

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
I havent seen the movie in years so I dont know if it holds up but I hear it was just released on DVD.

I read the book in High School and enjoyed it even more than the movie.
A classic? I dont remember it being that good but it has been a long time.

VinceCar

Grip
Can anyone confirm its DVD release? Horror is the movie genre I favor the most, and I have surprisingly never seen the movie. Souds very intriguing though, zombie horrors are the best. :)

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
it was an ok horror film. twi-light zone like.

i also read the book. fans of the movie i recommend reading the book too.

Mike Brogan

Second Unit
I just watched this last night and was blown away. I wonder how much of an influence this film had on M. Night Shyamalan. What really surprised me was that I had never heard of it before. A friend suggested it but it didn't ring a bell, though in retrospect I might have seen part of it on Sci-Fi or AMC a few years ago. It doesn't seem to be known to too many people besides being a "video nasty" in the UK but I'm glad I found it being talked about here, even though I'm a little late to the party.

Anyway, a great concept, some good performances by Farentino, Jack Albertson, and Lisa Blount, creepy score, and some great effects work by Stan Winston. All that and it's aged really well especially compared to other 80's horror movies which I'd attribute to it's
"Un-Pleasantville" setting. I'm glad this came out in such a nice DVD package, it truly deserves it.

Incidentally the Cinematographer from this film was a second unit Director of Photography for M. Night's "Unbreakable" and Lisa Blount went on to win an Oscar in the last few years.

ChuckSolo

Screenwriter
Yes, this "Dead and Buried" along with "Near Dark" is among my favorite horror films of the period. I have the VHS release, but have yet to buy the DVD as the $20.00+ price tag puts me off. Same goes for "Near Dark." I'll just keep watching my VHS copies until the prices on these two gems on DVD come down a bit.

ChuckSolo

Screenwriter
Yeah, I saw that when I ordered my advance copy of "Dawn of the Dead" from DDD. I still can't see paying that much for a movie going on 30 years old.:angry:

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
I dont know about a Masterpiece but I enjoy the movie. The scene in which the photographer is being beat up at the beginning is very frightening.
I read the book back in High School and it was very good.

Another underrated horror movie is Burnt Offerings. Also veryyyy eerie.

ChuckSolo

Screenwriter
I agree about "Burn Offerings" although I was fairly disappointed in the transfer quality of the video. The movie looks really soft with halos around a lot of the bright scenes. The movie itself is great though, transfer shortcomings notwithstanding.

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
I'm with ya too, Justin: Dead and Buried = Rock-solid stuff.

Just saw it for the first time in about 15 years and was quite impressed with it overall. :emoji_thumbsup:

Marty Lockstead

Second Unit
I bought the limited edition dvd blind (without having seen the film before) and also quite enjoyed it. Blue Underground is sure giving Anchor Bay a run for their money! I also look forward to THE FINAL COUNTDOWN they plan to release on March 30th.:D

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
I LOVE THIS MOVIE!!!!!!!!!!!

I first saw it YEARS ago when HBO played it to death...I would love to get it on DVD...I remember it being REALLY creepy. I only read a few of the posts before I wrote this, so forgive me if I repeat what someone else may have already said: if you like this movie, try renting HORROR HOTEL with Christopher Lee (low budget 60's flick). Another creepy small-town chiller!!!

PetterLiokel

Auditioning
Great film and a exellent DVD .

Another great release from Blue Underground:emoji_thumbsup:

Anybody heard any thing about the new Dawn of the dead release from Anchor Bay?

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
All this talk got me off my butt and out to Best Buy ($19.99)...Haven't even cracked open the package yet...

ChuckSolo

Screenwriter
The "Dawn of the Dead" release from Anchor Bay is due out sometime in March, probably in conjunction with the new theatrical version coming out at the same time. I pre-ordered it from www.deepdiscountdvd.com last week for a price of just under $14.00 with free shipping. If it is anything like the recent Day of the Dead release then it is definately worth the wait. I believe there are going to be 3 versions of the film on the release including the European Dario Argento version with his own music score.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks