What's new

Dead Alive or Evil Dead 2 SE DVD's any good ? (1 Viewer)

John Sullmeyer

Second Unit
Hey all. Was wondering if this DVD was worth picking up. I noticed that it was only in 2.0 Stereo. I want to pick this guy up, but if a newer version with a newer soundmix is on it's way, I think I'll hold off.

Also, how is the Evil Dead 2 SE disc ? Worth getting as well ?

Thanks !

-J

Rolando

Screenwriter
Never seen Dead Alive but buddy...
YOU STILL DON"T HAVE EVIL DEAD 2 SE???
Just kidding but you seriously should have it. Heck you should have ALL the Evil Dead movies, They rock!
They're dead, they're evil, what more could you want?
And the Anchor Bay SE has a GREAT anamorphic transfer in it's OAR PLUS a remastered 5.1 track that really enhances the mood. One of the Top 5 funniest commentary of all time and a FX featurette.
Are you still reading? GO GET IT NOW!!!
:)

Julie K

Screenwriter
OMG yes. Get Dead Alive and Evil Dead 2 (the Anchor Bay SE) right freaking now.
And Rolando, you really need to see Dead Alive.
Edit: Oh yeah, and if you like this sort of movie, you desperately need to see Bad Taste, [happy dance]which is coming out tomorrow with a nice new transfer from AB[/happy dance].

John Sullmeyer

Second Unit
Cool. I'll pick up the Evil Dead SE. I think they are doing yet another of the original Evil Dead, with a new THX approved audio track, so I will probably wait for that one.

Definate thumbs up on Dead Alive. It rocks. I have not seen Bad Taste. How does it compare to Dead Alive ? I was thinking about picking this one up, but these two are high on my list this month.

-J

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
The Dead Alive transfer is a bit problematic, but it is the best and most complete "legit" version available in North America. I have not heard of anyone working on a new transfer or a longer cut in the near future.

If I had to really dig and nitpick, I could complain that the Evil Dead 2 SE looks a bit too dark, but it really is a nice presentation. I would advise against getting the tin unless you really like the packaging since the picture booklet is not worth the aditional $$$, IMHO. The Evil Dead 2 commentary is probably the benchmark for "fun" group commentaries.

Regards,

Brad_W

Screenwriter
Both movies are awesome. But if you are going for DVD extras and transfers:

Dead-Alive doesn't have a great transfer or sound mix. Plus, the only extra it has is a trailer. I hope there is a Dead-Alive Special Edition that comes out soon. I would buy it again for a commentary from Peter Jackson, A making of documentary, a better transfer, a better sound mix, a tin-set, and some other what-nots. That would be awesome!

Evil Dead 2 SE has some great extras and is an awesome movie as well. I recommend getting the Tin Set if you can.

Both movies are awesome and you should buy both, however, keep in mind what you are getting. Again, buy BOTH.

Julie K

Screenwriter
I have not seen Bad Taste. How does it compare to Dead Alive ?
It's not quite as gory, but I find it more humorous. Of course, it's an improvised first film, with no real actors (although Peter Jackson shines as Derek), and miniscule budget. But it does have machetes to the head, exploding heads, exploding sheep(!), vomit, vomit drinking, murderous aliens, psychotic nerdy chainsaw-wielding scientists, plenty of brains being tossed around, and a death by chainsaw that can't be missed.
I doubt you'll be disappointed :D

Rolando

Screenwriter
Julie or anyone else, how good IS Dead Alive. Now you seem to praise it all but I am not a huge gore hound. Believe it or not I am one of the BIGGEST Evil Dead fans in the world (I mean, they're Dead, They're Evil what more could you want?) but NOT for the gore (is there a lot of gore in the sequels... not really...)

I love a good story and I love Bruces antics... How do Evil Dead Fans feel about Dead Alive? Is it in the same vain? Is it funny? Outrageous? Is it a great story stuck in a low budget? What can I expect?

Julie K

Screenwriter
Rolando,

I'm a big, big fan of Dead Alive and the Evil Dead movies, but I'm also a big, big gorehound. Dead Alive is the goriest movie I've ever seen, but it's also very funny. Outrageously funny. Instead of Deadites, you get zombies. Tons and tons of hungry zombies. Instead of Ash, you get Lionel, the poor schmuck who has to deal with these terrors, and an even worse horror that is his mother. You also get a kung-fu priest. And a zombie baby. Oh man, I'm starting to laugh my head off here so I better stop...

"Your mother ate my dog!"

"I kick ass for the Lord!"

Jussi Tarvainen

Second Unit
Braindead is a terrific film, and I'm certainly not a gorehound in the sense that I like any gory film. With Braindead, Jackson was working with a larger crew and budget and was able to produce one of the most stylish zombie films of all time and one of the funniest horror films of all time. The film moves at a breakneck pace and has some of the most creative (albeit sick) ideas ever in a horror film.
See it if you have a strong stomach!
:star::star::star::star: (out of five)

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
Yes, Dead Alive (Braindead) is one of the most creative gore/comedy films of all time. The situations continue from bad to worse, and there seems to be a peak that can't be topped and then it is.

Be advised, this is a truly gory film, and has perhaps the single bloodiest scene ever captured on film. But the humor is pervasive and it never gets meanspirited. While Heavenly Creatures stands as his most technically adept film to date (to be surpassed on Dec 19 I hope), Dead Alive will always stand as a real benchmark in horrow filmmaking.

BTW, I have to wonder if anyone who has seen Peter Jackson's horror films can still appreciate something like From Dusk till Dawn, especially as there are several gags lifted whole?

Bjorn Olav Nyberg

Supporting Actor
I just wanted to point out that the name Jussi used is the international name, Dead alive is the US name, to avoid confusion...
But I agree, Braindead is very funny, it get's so funny you don't really think of the gore as such. It is not realistic either, which makes it easier to laugh at. The zombie baby is the comic highlight of the movie I think, the Home alone style routine Lionel and the baby go through at the end is hilarious, and the sequence when Lionel takes the baby out for a walk is incredibly funny.
It's production values are also very good, well produced and solid, it has a real A movie flair to it. Based on the content described in the thread, I realize this might seem almost contradictory, but believe me it will make sense when you see it. You are gonna see it, right? :D

Rolando

Screenwriter
Man you guys drive a hard bargain! Now I GOTTA see it! Is it on DVD? Is it OAR? Is there more than one version available? Is it anamorphic and WHEN WERE HOW!?!?!?

Jussi Tarvainen

Second Unit
Yes, Trimark has released the rougly 7 mins. shorter US cut (which, fear not, is still very NC-17 :)) on DVD. See the following links for details:
Link Removed
Link Removed
DVD review by The Digital Bits
For info on the noteworthy German (R2, PAL) DVD release of the film, see Terry Powell's post above.

Brad_W

Screenwriter
Dead Alive is AWESOME because not only is it the GORIEST film of all time, but incredibly funny while being the goriest. You almost can't describe it and just need to see it. It's like Peter Jackson had 10 barrels of fake blood lying around and was forced to use each and every one in this one movie. I am at a loss for words (I think that would be a first).

Rolando

Screenwriter
So there is only one DVD available? It says on IMDB AR is 1.78:1 which cannot be, what is OAR??

Brad_W

Screenwriter
OAR: Original Aspect Ratio. The ratio the director intended his/her movie to be viewed. "widescreen" movies.

Oh and BOTH movies are available on DVD.

Jussi Tarvainen

Second Unit
I think Rolando meant "what is [the] OAR [for this film]? Anyway, IMDb only states the AR of the DVD is 1.78:1. Why is this not possible???
Anyway, the OAR is 1.66:1. See Link Removed link for details.
It seems the Trimark disc doesn't have the OAR version, how about the German release?

Rolando

Screenwriter
That is exactly right Jussi my friend. So that version is window boxed I assume...

Yes, is there a DVD for the German/International release braindead?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks