Dead Again and Dreamtheater

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mike Broadman, Dec 24, 2001.

1. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

I don't know which forum this would go in, but:
    Has anyone here both seen the movie Dead Again and heard the Dreamtheater album Metropolis 2: Scenes From A Memory?
    I've been a DT fan for a while and have the album pretty much memorised (yep, even the MM parts[​IMG] ).
    I rented Dead Again last night. Starring Kennith Branagh, my dream woman Emma Thompson, and that other British guy that's in all those Branagh films, the story involved hypnotic regression, murder in past lives and reincarnation.
    So naturally, the striking similarities between this movie and Scenes From a Memory jumped out at me. I won't list them because that would include spoilers.
    I was distracted because I kept hearing music in my head:
    "Our deeds have traveled far
    What we have been is what we are
    All that we learn this time
    Is carried beyond this life"
    Does anyone know if this movie was a direct inspiration for the DT's story, or coincedence, or if there is a source that both took from?

2. Brian Perry

Brian Perry Cinematographer

Mike,

Are those lyrics in the movie? I had assumed that SFAM's lyrics were originally by DT.

3. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

No, I'm sorry I wasn't clearer.

The lyrics are not in the movie at all, they and the music is all original DT.

I just meant that when the similarity in stories hit me, I couldn't get DT music out of my head, and randomly picked a verse of lyrics to post.

4. Jim_C

Jim_C Cinematographer

Yeah, I've seen the movie. Actually, I wrote a paper on it for a film class I took some 4-5 years ago. I saw a rather strong resemblance to SFAM but never thought to mention it in our previous DT discussions. I figured that either it was an amazing coincidence or one of the band saw the movie and was inspired. I don't have any concrete information either way.

BTW, I agree with you about Emma. Yummy.