What's new

Deactivated my Facebook (1 Viewer)

Museum Pieces

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Skylar
I liberated myself from FB by using it and not letting it use me. I have about 60 friends I know in the real world. I have about 10 relatives I have on restricted access because I don't want them knowing my business. I have about 10 really good friends I have in a special group that get the goodies. The rest are people I want to keep up with. Sometimes I shut it off during elections or if I'm traveling. But it helps me keep in touch, especially now with the pandemic.

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
I deleted my account about 3 years ago. My friend's wife asked me last week if I miss it and my honest answer was - it's not that I don't miss it, it's that I don't even think about it.

I'm now making a conscious attempt to spend less time on screens in general. My iPhone tells me that in July I averaged 5hr 15mins a day of screen time. My goal is 1 hour. That feels about right.

Tom-G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
I used to be a social media addict. I use the term "addict" loosely since that word is often overused, but social media consumed for a long time. I had a MySpace page in the late aughts and it didn't consume me, but after I joined Twitter in 2009 and Facebook about that same time, things escalated. I would spend too much time at work going back and forth on the different social media accounts to the point where I felt I was stealing too much company time for those activities. Eventually I deleted all of my social media accounts in phases with Twitter being the last to go. I've been off social media completely for about six months or so and I have no intentions of returning. I've become very anti-social media and believe it is more of a scourge to society than it is a benefit, although I do recognize that social media is no inherently bad.

The Drifter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jim
Never had FB, and will never have an account. Never having an account is one of the best decisions I've ever made. We already have 0 privacy online these days, so I'm not going to add to that with FB.

I've heard stories of people having their potential employers check their FB accounts, and then not getting hired because of something stupid they posted (i.e., bragging about getting drunk, etc.). Nimrods.

I remember an acquaintance back in the 200X's telling me I "had" to have an account because everyone else was using it & I needed it to keep in touch with people, etc. I told him that he was an asshole, and that I wasn't one of the many sheep that needed FB. And, that's the last time we talked - good riddance ;)

Here's some interesting articles on how FB can actually be harmful to your health:

Last edited:
Real Name
Steve
when Fakebook first launched I signed up and did very little with it though I am a computer/software nerd. In 2003, upon graduating from college, my daughter began job searching. For kicks i went to her Facebook page. Wham! Bam! Pow! Holy paparazzi batman, photos after photos of wild high school and college parties. My advice to her was to delete them ASAP. What she found was that it near impossible to delete them and it took over a month with call after call to tech support to get Facebook to remove them then.

This blatant act of stealing one's control over their privacy scared me far beyond Googles tracking my web whereabouts. The shreds of my privacy protectors, internal and external, that remained within me screamed to me to never ever use Fakebook. And since then I have not touched it, though i believe my ghost still exist in its bowels hopefully creating software glitches.

Peace

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
when Fakebook first launched I signed up and did very little with it though I am a computer/software nerd. In 2003, upon graduating from college, my daughter began job searching. For kicks i went to her Facebook page. Wham! Bam! Pow! Holy paparazzi batman, photos after photos of wild high school and college parties. My advice to her was to delete them ASAP. What she found was that it near impossible to delete them and it took over a month with call after call to tech support to get Facebook to remove them then.

This blatant act of stealing one's control over their privacy scared me far beyond Googles tracking my web whereabouts. The shreds of my privacy protectors, internal and external, that remained within me screamed to me to never ever use Fakebook. And since then I have not touched it, though i believe my ghost still exist in its bowels hopefully creating software glitches.

Peace
Just know the only person who’s data and history can actually be deleted is Zuckerburg. For everyone else, it’s “visibility set to zero” but your data and history is still archived on their server farm.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks