What's new

De Palma's HI, MOM! on the way - anything else by the director? (1 Viewer)

Jim Tudor

Stunt Coordinator
According to digital bits, Brian De Palma's early film "Hi, Mom!" starring young Robert De Niro is hitting disc 12/07. Yay!

I know "The Untouchalbes" SE is on the way, but does anyone know if there's any chance of decent DVD releases of "Greetings", "Murder a la Mod", "Get to Know Your Rabbit", "Home Movies", or even "Dionysus"? (There are other early MIA entires, but you get the idea...)

For a director of such notable stature, it sure feels like De Palma gets shafted way to often on DVD.

JiM T

Sergio A

Stunt Coordinator
DIONYSUS IN 69 is available in a package with two short subjects by De Palma in France in a decent Region 2 disc which you can order from Amazon.fr (if you have a multi-region player).

While I am also anxiously waiting for releases of his early films (especially MURDER A LA MOD), every single one of De Palma's films from SISTERS (1973) onwards is actually available on DVD now, with the exception of WISEGUYS, so I think on the whole he has done fairly well on the format, although the best of the HOME MOVIES (1979) discs does look like an old VHS!

Sergio

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member
Despite being released on one of the budget labels (one of those $6 titles in the CD style thin packaging in the racks at Circuit City), the GREETINGS DVD actually looks great. They used a great source for it, better than the previous VHS copies I have seen.

No extras and not letterboxed, but it is worth picking up if you can still find it.

Christian Preischl

Screenwriter
Real Name
Christian Preischl
I absolutely love De Palma's work, and it frustates me to no end that there's still a lot of pre-Sisters stuff that I've never even seen. I really hope we'll see an eventual release of his early work.

I know about the French Dionysus DVD, but so far it's been a bit too expensive for my taste. When (if) it gets a tad cheaper I'll probably buy it. Does anybody here own this disc, and if so what's the quality like?

Really looking forward to "Hi, Mom!" by the way. Got this preordered for a measly CAD$ 7.98 @ dvdsoon.com.

Chris

Mark Edward Heuck

Screenwriter
The former Vidmark/Trimark released a nice clean VHS and laserdisc of GREETINGS years ago. I don't know if new owner Lions Gate still has the rights though.
And the former Vestron originally released the only licensed version of HOME MOVIES, and again, no word on whether Lions Gate has any claim to this either.
I'm sure if DePalma can make another hit film, WB may relent on issuing GET TO KNOW YOUR RABBIT.

jonathan_little

Stunt Coordinator
Is Columbia Tristar going to ever lower the price of Obsession? I probably would have bought that by now, but the MSRP of $24.95 sets the price a bit higher than I'm willing to pay.

Jim Tudor

Stunt Coordinator
jonathan_little, I feel your pain. I held out for years on that overpriced "Obsession" disc. Finally, I lucked out and found a cheap used copy. But I'm kind of amazed that it remains both in print and so pricey.

Thanks everyone for word on that "Greetings" DVD. I've actually seen the cheapie disc floating around used DVD bins, but I usually avoid those off-brand discs, since I've been burnt in the past. For that reason, I was hoping for a more "legitimate" release of the film. Guess I'll have to give this one a chance.

I'm not region free, so no "Dionysus in '69" for me. :frowning:

I keep hoping against hope that maybe one day soon, Criterion whould snatch up all these impossible-to-find De Palma films and release a boxed set. I've actually suggested to them a few times, but nothing so far. Not holding my breath, though.

I have almost all the mainstream releases of his films that are available, except I haven't gotten around to gettng "Mission to Mars". As much as I love De Palma's work, I'll readily admit he's got some stinkers in his filmography - and that may be the biggest one. I also still need "The Fury".

JiM T

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member

Surprisingly (or maybe not) the French love MARS. Cahiers du Cinema named it as one of the best films of the 90's.

Go figure.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks