De-mystifying DVD burner features, formats and compatibility?

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Chris PC, Dec 27, 2004.

1. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

Ok. DVD burners and dvd burning questions.

Why I'm asking questions.

I am upgrading my PC and part of the upgrade is that I'll have firewire and I will eventually get a video capture/editing card. I'd like to be able to capture video and edit it on my PC and I'd like to be able to burn DVD's that will play on regular dvd players. I have a Panasonic CV51 dvd player, and anything I burn I'd like it to play on anyones DVD player. As a for instance, I have VHS tapes I'd like to put on DVD, particularly video camera material of relatives, taken on a trip 12 years ago. I want to archive it before the VHS tape dies! I have a decent S-VHS player so I should be able to get the video off ok. also, I have a Canon S1 IS and although its not a video camera really, I may goof around with it and make dvd video's that I'd like to be able to stick in any dvd player. Eventually, if I have enough fun with the S1 IS I may get a mini-DV camera, and even if it uses DVD's for its recording format, I'll want to edit in my PC. Ideally I guess you'd want a video camera that has DVD RW? Do they have those?

So the questions:

What format of dvd burning are there and where can I learn all about the dvd formats?
    What formats should I look for in a dvd burner?
    DVD +/- RW and DVD RAM? Are there other formats?
    What about the dual-layer deal? Are there different formats for dual-layer too?
    What is HD-Burn capability? I didn't think HD DVD format had even been finalized. Is there a Blue Ray DVD burner out there?
    What about Mount Rainier DVD+RW? How important is it?
    Do most drives have some sort of burn proof now?

I saw Future Shop had a Benq 1621 USB 2.0 external burner on sale and that looked handy, but its dual-layer burning is: DVD+DL Write Speed=2.4X CLV (I assume its identical to the 1620).

Anyways, I thought now that dual layer dvd burners were out around $100, I could grab one, but it looks like there is lots to know and perhaps more waiting until they have everything?

2. Diallo B

Diallo B Screenwriter

3. Jeremy K

Jeremy K Stunt Coordinator

4. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

Thanx folks. Does anyone out there have a dual-layer dvd burner and/or are you buying a dual-layer burner soon?

5. BrianB

BrianB Producer

I just got a Sony dual layer burner (Sony DRU-710A), NewEgg do them for around $80. Handles +/- R & RW.

Of course, I haven't got any dual layer media to try out with it, just plain +R & -R.

6. Jeremy K

Jeremy K Stunt Coordinator

I have a BenQ dual layer burner. It always works great, but just like BrianB, I don't have any dual layer media. The price just doesn't make it worth it for me yet. I'm waiting for the price to go down.

7. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

While not 100% fool proof, using DVD-Rs will give you a better shot of having that DVD playable in more DVD players on average. DVD+Rs won't always be playable, it depends on the player, so YMMV. If you booktype your DVD+Rs so they appear as DVD-ROMs to the DVD player, that's another way to increase your odds that the DVD burned can be played in a variety of DVD players.

I also have a NEC 2500A Dual-layer DVD burner, but with no affordable (under $1) Dual-layer blank DVD media available, it's just single-layer DVD burning for me at the moment.

8. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

I own a dual layer DVD burner (Sony DW-D18) that handles DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+R and DVD+RW. I have not tried any dual layer discs yet, though, since they are cnsiderably more expensive than the single layer discs. I purchased the dual layer burner because (1) it was not much more expensive than single layer-only burners (I paid about $70), and (2) I figured that eventually the prices will drop on blank dual layer media, so I didn't want to lock myself out of the ability to burn dual layer discs in the future.

9. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

i bought my first dvd burner with mt rainier support thinking it was a good idea. as of right now, i still yet have to see anything using it. so i would say it's not a big deal at this point.

10. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

What does Mount Rainier support mean? What does it allow you to do anyways?

What do people think of the Benq 1621 external USB 2.0 dvd burner? It appears identical to the 1620 but is USB 2.0 external. Would work ok and not take up an IDE channel. You'd avoid having it back to back on the same ide channel as either of your hd or dvd/cd reader.