De La Hoya Was Robbed!

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Henry Carmona, Sep 13, 2003.

1. Henry Carmona

Henry Carmona Screenwriter

Henry Carmona
    I cannot believe boxing anymore!

Yeah im a De La Hoya fan, but believe me when i say that this decision was unbelievable!

Even Mosley was surprised he won!!!

2. Ric Bagoly

Ric Bagoly Producer

Hey, it's boxing, shit happens. I personally think Evander Holyfield was ROBBED in the second fight against Lennox Lewis, but I guess the judges didn't want Lewis to start bawling in the ring. [​IMG] Anyhow, didn't see this fight, but a unaminous win sounds pretty decisive. [​IMG]

3. Devin U

Devin U Second Unit

Oh well, guess its time for Oscar to start working on the music again.

4. Chris

Chris Lead Actor

I didn't think it was as lopsided as some of the commentators, but I couldn't come up with how the decision went as it did. Mosley put on flashes of fury and stole a few rounds.

Very reminiscent of Hagler vs. Sugar Ray..

5. LewB

LewB Screenwriter

After watching the fight and then reading the accounts in my local paper and on the web I have to wonder if there were two different fights.
    You also have to wonder about the announcers. They admitted that De La Hoya was the 'rainmaker'. You think that people would pay $55 for a Shane Mosley PPV event ?

6. Jordan_E

Jordan_E Cinematographer

Until things are completely judged by computer, things like this will happen. Look how many times an umpire blows a call in baseball. I gave up on boxing a few years ago, maybe catching a few bouts, but never getting into the PPV things anymore because they seemingly NEVER live up to the hype. And I was a huge boxing fan only a few years back.

7. Henry Carmona

Henry Carmona
    You said it Jordan, there are a few "sports" that are not decided by computers or are not easily scored (ie NASCAR racing, NBA, NFL, Tennis, etc), and have to be "decided" upon by "judges"

Oscars corner said they will contest the decision but you know that wont do any good.

Ric,
    Be sure you check the fight when it comes on HBO in a couple weeks, you'll see what i mean.

And your right, "unanimous" sounds like theres no way it could have gone the other way. Which is why i was so surprised.

8. Julian Reville

Julian Reville Screenwriter

Maybe boxing should go back to the old rules, to avoid this kind of controversy. Last man standing wins!

From infoplease.com

The longest boxing match (with gloves) in history was 110 rounds long.

It began around 9 p.m. on April 6, 1893 and ended the next day well after 4 a.m. Andy Bowen and Jack Burke fought for seven hours and 19 minutes in New Orleans, La. before the match was eventually deemed "no contest" when the fighters were too exhausted to continue. That decision was later changed to a "draw."

9. JonZ

JonZ Lead Actor

One of the worst decision in boxing...ever!.

DelaHoya WHIPPED Mosley.

10. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

If I recall, some company did a study using computers and trajectory analysis in baseball, and found that umpire calls were remarkably accurate.

-V

11. LewB

LewB Screenwriter

I don't think the umpire analogy holds here since they are required to make a decision in a split second. Boxing judges watch a 3 minute round and then (hopefully) record their decision. BTW, does any one know for certain what the scoring process is in boxing ?
    When the round ends, does the judge immediately record their verdict on that round, or do they keep a 'working' score and then transfer it to their official score card ?

12. Henry Carmona

Henry Carmona
    Good Q Lew, by the way the decision went youd think the scores were entered at the end.

But i doubt it, im sure they enter a win or lose after every roun.

13. Scott Leopold

Scott Leopold Supporting Actor

The judges are supposed to record their scoring after each round. However, I've read of occasions where a fight ended in an abrupt KO, and one or two of the judges already had the scores recorded for the remaining rounds.

14. Jed M

Jed M Cinematographer

Yeah, I wouldn't call it robbed but I definitely felt De La Hoya won. I almost threw away my ticket. Good thing I didn't.[​IMG]