What's new

De Dødes Tjern / Lake of the Dead (1958, Norway) on DVD? (1 Viewer)

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
De Dødes Tjern (1958, Kåre Bergstrøm)

- Aka, "Lake of the Dead" or "Lake of the Damned"
- 76 minutes
- Black and white
- 2.35:1 Agascope

www.imdb.com/title/tt0051569/

Said to be a genuinely terrifying piece of filmmaking - a landmark in Scandinavian filmmaking. I don't know if it ever had a US theatrical release or USA/UK VHS release.

Do we have any Norwegian members who know if their is a DVD edition in Norway, hopefully with English subtitles?

I'd really love to check this one out.

Runar_R

Second Unit
It sure is creepy....

It's not out on DVD yet, but it's supposed to be just around the corner. There's an ongoing 'norwegian classics'-series being released, and 'de dødes tjern' is said to come out early next year.
No specs yet, so I can't comment on any subtitles etc. Hopefully they will treat it with more respect than they have some of the other titles released so far though. The 'classic' series has been a mess. Little to no extra features, no resturation, some titles cut to shred (also known as pan-and-scan).....
Fingers crossed

Roger_R

Second Unit
I've read about this movie and that it's coming out in the next wave of Norwegian Classics. Probably early next year.
The makers of the series doesn't have any major studio backing them or a lot of money, so I wasn't that surprised that there were no special features and stuff on the earlier discs. Most of the movies look fine, except for the occasional print damage on the older ones. What titles exactly are pan and scanned? I couldn't find any...
By the way, the majority, if not all of the releases have english subs and I would guess "De Dødes Tjern" will also have it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks