What's new

DDD 20% off sale Now Extended until 11/23/06 (1 Viewer)

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Anyone planning to get HD DVDs probably should probably go to buy.com instead, as long as the Google Checkout $10 off $30 discount is running. Placing orders of two HD DVDs each, you'll get $5 off each, which in many cases is greater than a 20% discount with buy.com's slightly lower HD DVD pricing. DDD's price for regular DVDs is still generally king though.

Doug^Ch

Second Unit
If it were not for the 20% off sale, I would never order from this company. They have about the worst service I have encountered on an internet based site. Their free shipping is a 2-3 week service, and occasionally they send out damaged items (I ordered five season sets of the Rifleman and set #2 had a huge tear across the cover art). Saying all that, I probably will still order from them, because on some items their prices are hard to beat, but I don't think I will continue to use their free shipping - you get what you pay for.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason

I hafta disagree with you there, Doug. I will say one four disc set came with the case broken, though, and I returned it and got another one without a single problem. Other that than, everything I've ever bought from them has come in undamaged. I'm a complete stickler for this kind of stuff (unmangled corners, pristine cover art, etc.), so I do check.

Barry_B_B

Second Unit
Real Name
Barry

I also have to disagree with Doug; every order I've placed with them arrives within a week or less and have never had any damage issues. That being said, wen I started building list for purchase it didn't seem to be nearly as much of a savings as the one earlier this year. Won't be a big haul this time around.

seanOhara

Supporting Actor

I'm sure they do. But do they do it at a higher rate than other etailers?

And at least they use actual boxes when they ship a single disc. Unlike, say, Best Buy or Overstock which use padded envelopes.

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman
I got my confirmation about 4 hours after placing the order.
DVD : CHRONOLOGICAL DONALD V.02 1 $ 19.16 In-stock
DVD : DISNEY RARITIES-CELEBRATED $ 19.16 In-stock
DVD : SIMPSONS-8TH SEASON $ 23.36 In-stock
DVD : SOUTH PARK-8TH SEASON $ 27.62 In-stock

I'll be placing another order after Tuesday.

Albert_M

Supporting Actor
I placed my order at about a quarter to 12 last night. It went smooth. I have never had anything damaged from them and every order has come in around 5 days.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
The only way the service is "bad" is if they offer no means to resolve what you consider to be problems.

If you want your DVD's faster, then pay for expedited shipping. I can never understand how anyone can think it's legitimate to complain about FREE services. I admit that my DDD purchases take quite awhile to arrive (I just ordered 4 in-stock items on 10/23 and just received them on 11/6), but I'm not sure they take much longer than other FREE shipping orders I've had from Amazon.com or Columbia House.

If you select FREE shipping, you always go to the end of the line behind everyone else who paid for expedited shipping, as well as everyone who selected FREE shipping and ordered before you did.

As far as damaged items, if they refuse to replace the item, then that's "bad" service. But every retailer lets some damaged merchandise through the cracks now and then. As long as they will replace the item, I don't find that to be "bad" service.

I did get one disc from DDD that had a slit down the spine (like someone hit it with the utility knife when opening the shipping carton), but it wasn't critical enough to me to bother with an exchange. Yeah, I sort of wonder why the person picking orders and packing the box didn't notice that, but I don't hold that against them since I'm sure they'd have replaced it had I asked.

Joe-Frietze

Stunt Coordinator
I had DDD ship me the wrong DVD twice, literally. They sent the wrong DVD. I e-mailed them, and they sent out a return shipping label and then re-sent the same wrong DVD. I e-mailed and explained it again, and this time they shipped out the correct DVD first, with the return shipping label for the wrong DVD. And they refunded my expedited shipping charge, since, in the end, it took much longer than free shipping would have taken.
Otherwise, I have always been pleased with their service. Sometimes slow, sometimes out of stock, but almost always a good deal, and good discs show up.

As for this sale, I'm hoping for Doctor Who series 1, NCIS season 2, and a couple of britcoms. But I'm not going to be able to swing the Homicide complete series released next week, I don't think.

DonHearth

Grip
I have been saving up since last sale, so my first (and probably only) order
was bigger than I wanted. I saved so much, I popped for 2nd day shipping!

BIT OF FRY & LAURIE-1ST & 2ND SEASON $29.96
FARSCAPE-STARBURST EDITION V.11 $13.28
FARSCAPE STARBURST EDITION V.12 $13.28
WORST WEEK OF MY LIFE-1ST SEASON $14.98
SCRUBS-4TH SEASON $22.28
LOST-2ND SEASON (EXTENDED) $29.32
KING OF QUEENS-6TH SEASON $22.21
PRISON BREAK-1ST SEASON $30.12
BOB NEWHART-4TH SEASON $17.80
SIMPSONS-8TH SEASON $23.36
BATTLESTAR GALACTICA-SEASON 2.5 $29.03
STARGATE SG-1-9TH SEASON $27.13
JUSTICE LEAGUE UNLIMITED-1ST SEASO $26.49
STAR TREK-COMPLETE ORIGINAL SERIES $109.84
STAR TREK NEXT GENERATION SEASON 7 $41.14
WEST WING-7TH SEASON $31.11

larrryc

Auditioning
Real Name
Larry Commons
I'm very surprised Deep Discount DVD is having its 20% off sale in November -- and am wondering if they'll do it again in December (when new releases like "Perry Mason - Season One Vol. 2" and "Mission: Impossible") will be out. Does anybody know?

PattyFraser

Second Unit
No, Larry. The 20% off on EVERYTHING happens twice a year--June and November. However, periodically they have big savings on selected items. I think they just finished a sale on A&E DVDs, and they recently had selected items buy one-get same or lower cost item free. THAT was a great sale, but they didn't have anything that tempted me to buy.

cpracer

Auditioning
Real Name
Casey Ray
Whee! I love this sale. I got 5 Farscape Starburst editions, Peacekeeper Wars, and the full series of Dinosaurs for under $100.

cpracer

Auditioning
Real Name
Casey Ray

Eep, I didn't even know there were 4 seasons. Only 1 & 2 are out. Maybe by the next sale... :)

Dan-P

Stunt Coordinator
Unfortunately the days when DDD was the lowest cost online retailer seem to be gone. In the past, I'd just order blindly whenever DDD would have their 20% off sale and I wouldn't comparison shop. However, this year it paid me to shop around. Here's what I found:

I was interested in buying 20 individual DVD sets this time. Through checking dvdpricesearch, I found that DDD had the lowest online price on only 5 of these 20 sets (in other words, 15 of the 20 sets could be purchased cheaper elsewhere). Next, I figured out what each of the sets would cost from DDD after a 20% discount on their marked price. After applying the 20% sale discount, DDD had the lowest price on all but 2 of the DVD sets (I was amazed that I'd still be able to buy 2 sets that I wanted for less from other sources - Amazon and Overstock -, even after applying DDD's 20% sale price. DDD's "20% off sale" price for the 2 sets was $42.10 - the cost of buying at regular price from amazon and overstock was $36.99, making DDD 13.8% higher priced even with their sale). Needless to say I won't be buying either of these 2 sets from DDD!

The total cost of all 20 sets I wanted from DDD, after applying their 20% off sale price, was $457.86. The total cost of all these same sets, if I'd purchased them from the lowest cost major online retailer according to dvdpricesearch would have been $531.27. So, my savings by ordering from DDD's 20% off sale would have been $73.41, or only 13.8% off what I would have otherwise spent from the cheapest major online source.

I ended up purchasing only 9 of the 20 sets that I wanted. The sets that I bought had the biggest actual savings. I ended up saving 16.7% over the lowest other online cost.

So it pays to shop around - just wanted to give you guys a heads up about this, and surprisingly we can no longer count on DDD's price being the lowest, even after applying their 20% off sale price. In the case of 2 of the 20 sets I wanted (that's 10% of everything I wanted!), it would be cheaper for me to buy from amazon or overstock at their regular price than it would be for me to buy from DDD during their 20% off sale.

Dan

Dah-Dee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David
Well, DDD raised the prices since last night on the HD-DVDs I was either considering or had already placed in my shopping cart, so I'm done with the sale this time around. Sneaky sneakersons.

Thanks, DDD, for saving me from spending more money!

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Indeed. For example, "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory" and "Grand Prix" are both $18.26 *with* the 20% discount now. When I added them to my cart yesterday morning they were $16 and some change. Another example: "U-571" was (I believe) around $23 without the discount yesterday morning. Today it is priced at a whopping $26.83 pre-discount! Very, very deceptive and underhanded in my opinion. Goodbye, Deep Discount DVD. :thumbsdown:

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Dan, thanks for the reminder to check other outlets. Like you, there was a time when I would automatically assume the DDD 20% Off Sale would offer the best deals of the year, bar none. But the last couple of sales have indicated that's no longer the case, and this latest sale is following the same trend where DDD raises prices on some items just as the sale begins. It really does pay to do price comparisons any more.

I will tell you of at least one great deal that I see (assuming DDD doesn't raise the price on Tuesday). They are offering "THAT GIRL, SEASON 2" for $23.93. It comes out this Tuesday so it will be available for the discount then. That will put it under $20, which is basically 50% off the retail price. Amazon and Overstock have it for closer to $28, so this seems like a great snag for folks interested in that show.

Anymore, if one is willing to wait several months after a release date, you can get most dvds for around 50% off somewhere. And that's about where I'm at in my purchasing, since I need to be more careful with funds now. There are a couple of absolute favorites that I purchase on their release dates and end up only getting a standard 30% off, but for the most part I'm trying to discipline myself to wait and not pay more than half the retail price. It can be done if one is patient.

Gary "I only wish the DDD Sale would have been pushed back one extra week to include the 11/21 releases - there are several dvds I want on that date" O.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks