dd18 has no high pass - is this good or bad

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Len Cheong, Jun 24, 2004.

1. Len Cheong

Len Cheong Second Unit

Ok sorry for the stupid question but I read somewhere the velo dd18 only has low pass control. How does this affect one's ht listening experience?

2. Len Cheong

Len Cheong Second Unit

Ok sorry for the stupid question but I read somewhere the velo dd18 only has low pass control. How does this affect one's ht listening experience?

3. ScottCHI

ScottCHI Screenwriter

many subs' "crossovers" consist of a fixed high-pass filter for the speaker-level output (usually in the 80-100Hz range) with a variable low-pass filter.

but, it's only a concern if you're using the sub's speaker-level connections, right? otherwise, the high pass filter isn't utilized at all. normally, your receiver's "crossover" will handle the high-pass filtering duties.

4. ScottCHI

ScottCHI Screenwriter

many subs' "crossovers" consist of a fixed high-pass filter for the speaker-level output (usually in the 80-100Hz range) with a variable low-pass filter.

but, it's only a concern if you're using the sub's speaker-level connections, right? otherwise, the high pass filter isn't utilized at all. normally, your receiver's "crossover" will handle the high-pass filtering duties.

5. Bruce Hall

Bruce Hall Agent

Hi Len,
    Just to expand a bit, the high pass crossover takes the full signal and splits out the low bass from it, passing the rest of the signal on to the main speakers. It is typically only used on subwoofers in two channel listening mode - most home theater receivers already provide the crossover function as mentioned above.

DD has this feature available (fixed at 80 Hz w 6dB/octave slope) for left and right channel RCA inputs, but not for speaker level. I would say it is used in less than 5% of the cases out there.

Hope this helps,
    Bruce

6. Bruce Hall

Bruce Hall Agent

Hi Len,
    Just to expand a bit, the high pass crossover takes the full signal and splits out the low bass from it, passing the rest of the signal on to the main speakers. It is typically only used on subwoofers in two channel listening mode - most home theater receivers already provide the crossover function as mentioned above.

DD has this feature available (fixed at 80 Hz w 6dB/octave slope) for left and right channel RCA inputs, but not for speaker level. I would say it is used in less than 5% of the cases out there.

Hope this helps,
    Bruce

7. ScottCHI

ScottCHI Screenwriter

hi bruce

so you're saying it'll only pass a pre-amp (line) level, high-passed signal via it's rca outputs, for connection to an amplifier?

8. ScottCHI

ScottCHI Screenwriter

hi bruce

so you're saying it'll only pass a pre-amp (line) level, high-passed signal via it's rca outputs, for connection to an amplifier?

9. Robert Cowan

Robert Cowan Supporting Actor

hey scott, how is your system working out? i see you got the XQ's.

10. Robert Cowan

Robert Cowan Supporting Actor

hey scott, how is your system working out? i see you got the XQ's.

11. ScottCHI

ScottCHI Screenwriter

12. Bruce Hall

Bruce Hall Agent

Yes, that's right, or back to the pre-in jacks in a receiver equipped with pre-out and pre-in jacks.

Bruce

13. ScottCHI

ScottCHI Screenwriter

thx, bruce!

[​IMG]