DD vs. DTS Comparison Thread

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Cliff Olson, Jul 22, 2003.

1. Cliff Olson

Cliff Olson Stunt Coordinator

I had about 30 minutes last night to compare DTS and DD on one soundtrack. I am going to make a serious effort to thoroughly compare the formats in the coming weeks, granted I find time in my life. It would be easier to do with someone who cares (other than me [​IMG] ), but my wife knows how to change audio settings, chapters, etc. I will be doing "double blind tests" also, so if anyone on this forum is in the North Bay Area, and has several titles I don't...

Anyway, I played "The Patriot", and compared soundtracks, compensating, of course for the differences in loudness. I have the Superbit version, which is said to use the same mix (as with all Superbits). I will admit, there are a lot of scenes that sound very alike, and only at higher volume levels could I detect slight differences - which is where these movies are meant to be played anyway! ie. When the troops are marching, the stomping stands out more in the surrounds with one of the formats, and the weeds crackle with more clarity as the troops march through it. But, here is one of the best scenes I found (in the short time I had) to compare and notice a rather "large" difference. Please try it if you have the Superbit version. Play Chapter 7. There is a musket fight, and believe me, if you don't hear the difference in tonality and dynamic range... [​IMG] I won't give the outcome of which format sounds better, but please let me know what you discover. It may surprise you!

If anyone has *proof* of which titles use the same mix, or better yet, *proof* of which titles use DIFFERENT mixes, please post here, or PM me. Here are the titles in my collection that I will potentially be comparing:

http://www.dvdprofiler.com/mc.asp?al...pe=O&sc=C&ls=T

Also, if any of you guys do comparisions, please post here, but be specific on which scenes, etc. that you noticed a difference. It would also be very helpful to list your system. Here is the system I will be comparing on:

Lexicon DC-1 (v.4)
    Acurus A125X5
    Sony DVP-NS999ES
    Mitsubishi WS-65909

2. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Cliff, the big problem is that you did it yourself, you know which track was which. You have to do it blind, having someone else doing it

3. Cliff Olson

That's where my wife comes in (for blind testing). Or, if anyone else is in the North Bay, I would be happy to invite them over.

4. RobertR

RobertR Lead Actor

5. Dan Shogren

Dan Shogren Stunt Coordinator

where in the north bay are you cliff?

6. Cliff Olson