What's new

DD Volume Problem - Need Help (1 Viewer)

Scott Bourden

Second Unit
Note: I also posted this in the Software forum, inc ase it *is* a disk issue. I am posting it here inc ase it is a hardware problem I am overlooking. Mod's, feel freee to delete if you think it's in the wrong area.

First off, I did a couple searches, and read through about a dozen threads about the sound dropouts, and this is not my issue.

I have the regular edition (a gift) and everything is fine when I start it up. The previews all play perfect in DD (the lights on my Denon 1802 all come on and I can audibly tell). The menu screen of the graphics rushing toward you and raising from the water are both perfect as well. COntinue on to the "THX" logo, and their little demo of intense sound. Still all good.

But, sadly, here is the issue. As soon as the actual movie starts (when they are all rushing away from the tidal wave) the sound dies. If I turn my reciever up to +14 (as high as it will go) I can just barely hear hear it (literally, can just pick out voices and sounds from the movie). Everything appears to be fine (my reciever is on auto, and picks it up as a Dolby Digital soundtrack) and every other part of the movie (intro, thx demo, previews) work 100% flawless. WHen I switch it from DD to Stereo, it plays back at the normal sound level, and the same with "Virtual Surround", but back to Dolby Digital 5.1, and the sound is gone again.

I swapped in three other DD movies (Jeepers Creepers, Shrek disk #1 and Ninja Scroll, and all three worked perfectly, ruling out that it is a hardware issue just for dolby digital (I hope). (I've also checked the reciever with a DTS disk and it works fine then as well)

My DVD player is a JVC XV-S40.

This is quite frustrating, and any help is much appriciated.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
What movie might we be talking about? Some newer releases have DD flag issues - most notably JP3 and Pearl Harbor. I own both, and have never had an issue with them, though the first time I wached each in entirety, it was in DTS.

Dave Vaughn

Stunt Coordinator
Scott,

Return the DVD and get the "collectors edition" (the one that is $10 more so you can use the DTS track. The codec used to mix the Atlantis, JPIII, Pearl Harbor and a few other disks had EX flag issues which causes audio drop outs. To get around this, use the DTS tracks.

Scott Bourden

Second Unit
Dave: I wish I could return it and get the 2 disk set, but sadly, it was a gift. The person who gave it to me no longer has the bill for it, and since it's open, I'd be hard pressed to get the place of purchase to return it... Might have to try though.

Dave Vaughn

Stunt Coordinator
Scott,

When I returned mine to Best Buy they had no problem at all. I was about the 50th person to return it so the girl at the customer service counter was well aware of problems. The other thing you might try is the 800 number on the DVD packaging and see if Disney will do anything about it.

Good Luck

Scott Bourden

Second Unit
Thanks for the idea Dave, I'll take a trip to the store on Monday, and see what they can do for me first of all. Much appriciated.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Must be your disc, since I watched it a few days ago and it was fine. Actually, the DD sound was quite good. :D

BrentMann

Auditioning
I had the same problem w/ this disk (Integra 8.2 receiver). To view it, I forced the DVD player to output PCM, then used the Prologic II to get as much 5.1 pack out of it.

If you can't return it, you can at least use it for more than a coaster...

Hope that helps.

Scott Bourden

Second Unit
Brent: I'd rather not have to "settle" for anything unless I have no other choices (other then perhaps selling it to somebody who does not have a HT, so the DD issue would not be a problem to them)
DPL2 is good and all, but I really prefer my 5.1 to it, obviously :)

Harman

Auditioning
I don't have HT but I do suffer the same issues while watching certain DVDs on my Pioneer DV-440K. But my problem is not as bad as yours because the sound drops probably by 20%-30% only.

Scott Bourden

Second Unit
Great news. I recieved a reply from Disney after on the DVD problem, and due to my Dolby Digital issue's with this title, and even though I specified numerous times I only had the regular single disk edition, they are shipping me Special Edition, and specified in the email that I should use the DTS track on disk 2 for problem free audio.
Talk about service!!!!
I'll have no second thought's about buying a Disney animated title after this fortunate turn of events
:emoji_thumbsup:

Rusty J.

Agent
Scott,

I've also read where other people who had the same problem were able to use the disk if they forced, and didn't use the Auto Sense function, their receiver to use DD. If that doesn't work, at least it looks like Disney solved your problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks