DD sounds BETTER than MLP/PCM on DVD-A

Discussion in 'Music' started by Philip Hamm, Apr 1, 2003.

1. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

That's right. I sat down last night and listened closely to selectsions from all my DVD-Audio discs and I've decided that the Dolby Digital compatability mode for multichannel sounds significantly better than the MLP/PCM track. It was a big surprise cause I always thought that PCM should be better. But my ears don't lie!!!!!

Time to sell the DVD-A player and use my SACD machine as a universal! Whoopie!

2. Dan Joy

Dan Joy Supporting Actor

EHWWWW Nice April FOOOOls day thread!!!

If your serious,,,,, GO BACK TO BED[​IMG]

3. Ed St. Clair

Ed St. Clair Producer

What a Hamm!

4. Dean DeMass

Dean DeMass Screenwriter

.......... loads gun........

5. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

Assuming you're serious [​IMG]........

IMO, Dolby Digital sounds fine, but has a sort of soft high-end. It also lacks the fine details that even CD has.

While I don't have a center or sub yet, I hooked up all my Pioneer's multichannel outputs anyway to my Technics SA-DA8 receiver, so I can least hear the rear channels for "playing around" purposes. I first put on my Linkin Park dvd-audio. I always wanted to hear the stereo track in it's 44.1Khz/24bit PCM form, rather than DD.

The PCM definitely sounded better to me. Details quite a bit clearer & more "space" around the instruments, like a subtle fogginess was taken away. And on the PCM surround track, the same effect. A more "tinkly" sound was heard (sorry, not good with these kinds of adjectives!).

Same with the "Fragile" & "What's New" dvd-audios. Their DTS tracks were closer in quality to the MLP tracks (very close actually) but DTS has a slight high-frequency graininess that DD and MLP don't have; it's sounds very much like a CD in fact.

But to me, MLP has that "space", detail AND lack of graininess all in one package.

LJ

6. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

I prefer to rip it to a 96kbps mono .mp3 and listen on the speaker built-in to my laptop.

7. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden
    Finally someone else who is not afraid to say this. I wish they would do more DD tracks at 96kbps, though. It completely blows 448kbps out of the water.

Regards,

8. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

Oops, forgot the date :b

LJ

9. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

I actually prefer to the play DTS tracks on a system without a DTS decoder. The high-pitched noise sounds great! [​IMG]