DD Pro Logic II vs. D Pro Logic II?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Andy_Munich, Oct 1, 2005.

1. Andy_Munich

Andy_Munich Stunt Coordinator

My user ID is a clever riddle!
    I recently rented the game "Genji: Dawn of the Samurai" for the PS2 from GameFly. I therefore do not have access to the game's manual.

The game featured more audio options than I am accustomed to. Besides the normal sliders for BMG and Effects levels, there was a choice of four sound formats. Mono and Stereo were present and expected. What puzzled me was that I could choose between Dolby Pro Logic II and Dolby Digital Pro Logic II. Since neither of these options is true Dolby 5.1, I was curious what the difference was. Anyone think they know?

BTW, the game also allowed you to choose an audio reference point. Player, Camera and Realistic were all options. I was very impressed by the audio presentation of this game. It has a beautiful soundtrack. I wish I could say the same about the actual game-play. [​IMG]

2. Scott L

Scott L Producer

hmmmm, just guessing here but is DD PL II just Dolby Pro Logic II sent over a digital connection like optical or coax? The same exact signal, just DAC'ed in your receiver instead of the console?

3. Jay Mitchosky

Jay Mitchosky Producer

I'm going to move this to Receivers/Separates/Amps where you're likely to get a detailed response on surround formats.

4. JeremyErwin

JeremyErwin Producer

Dolby has a category called Dolby Pro Logic with Digital Extras. This could mean that the dynamic portions of the game are encoded in Dolby ProLogic II (which avoids the processor intensive compression entailed by DD, and the cutscenes are encoded in Dolby Digital (so as to take advantage of wider channel separation, the discrete LFE channel, etc).

5. Andy_Munich

Andy_Munich Stunt Coordinator

My user ID is a clever riddle!
    Thanks!

6. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    yeah, im guessin Dolby Digital pro-logic II is a Dolby Digital 2.0 signal designed for Pro-Logic II processing (plus all that extra digital stuff mentioned ablove) whereas Dolby Pro-Logic II is simply for DPL2 processing over analog stereo connections.