What's new

DD on H/K 320 gives tinny voices (1 Viewer)

Joe Hsu

Supporting Actor
I don't seem to get it...I got this receiver (H/K 320) a month ago, and haven't had time to fully tinker with it. I'll go through the manual tonight if I have time...
But my problem is that all my DVDs (any source really , computer, DVD), when decoded in DD, has very poor sound in the voice range, whereas the rest of the spectrum seems to be fine. I just recently bought the speaker wire and mounting screws that I need for my rear speakers, so I want to get everything right, for good.
Everything's audible in VMAX mode...
I'm sorry that I sound so unknowledgable, but I figured that maybe someone would know exactly what to say w/o me having to go through my manual right now. (Exam on Thursday, next Wed and Thurs too. :))
Thanks for putting up with me. ^_^
(something just occured to me.....does this have anything to do with the large/small speaker settings?)

Leo_P

Second Unit
What kind of speakers do you have?
If they can't handle a full-range signal, set them to small (80Hz or 100Hz).
Other than that, we need to know more about your set-up.
Good luck.

Joe Hsu

Supporting Actor
yeah, I realized that I forgot to note what speakers I'm running:
Front: Paradigm Monitor 9s
Rears: Klipsch Quintets (ran out of money. :))
No center and the sub will be another month before it's built.

Lee Petty

Stunt Coordinator

there is your problem. most of the voices are carried through the center channel. very little of the voices in movies comes from the left and right channels. see if there is an option to mix them to make a "phantom" center or something of the sort.

Joe Hsu

Supporting Actor
yeah, I noticed that too, so I guess I'll see what the manual says. I was just hoping to get a response from another 320 owner, thus making things much easier. :)

ColinM

Senior HTF Member
If it isn't in "Center = None" mode, it'll sound like crap, yeah. Like Lee said.

I was screwing around with my HT and disconnected the wires from my L/R to do some sub EQ. I forgot to plug them back in and spun up TPM thru the center and surrounds only. Actually didn't really notice for a few minutes. It was obvious, but not as much as I thought.

Joe Hsu

Supporting Actor
Hey Ben! You're the first person that I've found on this forum from around me...I live in a sub on the corner Wattles and Dequindre, but I'm currently residing in Ann Arbor, since I go to school here. You said you work in Troy...whereat? And where do you commute from?

But as for the help with the non-existant center channel, thanks everyone, I'll go find the manual and get the settings in later.

BenK

Stunt Coordinator
Joe, you're not too far from me. I work right on the corner of Maple and Coolidge and I live a few miles away in Southfield. I take it you go to U of M? I actually used to live on campus there. Hehe. Small world.

So how's the sound of that HK. I've read alot of good things about those. I'm getting my first power amp soon as I'd like to move to separates. But I'm still considering upgrading to a new receiver and using whatever I get as a pre/pro.

Joe Hsu

Supporting Actor
I actually worked at a place by Maple and Livernois this summer, hehe.

The HK's doing great, I love this sound...upgraded from a Pioneer 409...I'm very glad I decided splurge this summer.

And yeah, I attend the engineering school at UM here.

Ben...I don't suppose you know where to get some sonotube around here?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation554
Recent bookmarks