What's new

DD Matrix 6.1/DTS ES (1 Viewer)

Bill Kane

Screenwriter
My rcvr supports DD Matrix 6.1 and DTS ES. Since I've found so few DTS discs, I want to know if these modes operate off a 5.1 DVD that has a DTS track.

(I have a Behind Enemy Lines rental right now without the original box label)

IOW, does if have to COME as DTS ES as software to get the matrix?

Jonathan_

Second Unit
Your receiver should be able to create a matrix channel for your center surround. I do it with all of my non DD-EX/DTS-ES titles. Does a pretty damn good job too.

Bill Kane

Screenwriter
No, I have a DD Matrix 6.1 and DTS ES decoder in a 5-channel setup without a rear center speaker. On "just" DTS, I dont hear a rear center matrix when I switch on the decoder. That's why I'm thinking the DVD tracks need to come with Matrix 6.1 or DTS ES encoded ?????

rodney wiley

Second Unit
Bill if im reading you rite the reason you arent hearing the 6.1 mix is because you have to have a rear center. The DTS matrixed rear info is mixed into the surround channels but is decoded by your receiver for a rear speaker. It seems like you may be thinking of a 6.1 virtual type thing, where the rear channel is virtually reproduced by the surrounds. What type of receiver do you have how many channels of power?

Bill Kane

Screenwriter
rod, tks

yes, this is a virtual ap by Yamaha's sound field program in the absense of an actual 6th (discrete) channel. I think I have to twiddle more with Yammie's Movie Theater DSP selections (and read the manual).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks