DD Matrix 6.1/DTS ES

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bill Kane, Jul 13, 2002.

1. Bill Kane

Bill Kane Screenwriter

My rcvr supports DD Matrix 6.1 and DTS ES. Since I've found so few DTS discs, I want to know if these modes operate off a 5.1 DVD that has a DTS track.

(I have a Behind Enemy Lines rental right now without the original box label)

IOW, does if have to COME as DTS ES as software to get the matrix?

2. Jonathan

Jonathan Second Unit

Your receiver should be able to create a matrix channel for your center surround. I do it with all of my non DD-EX/DTS-ES titles. Does a pretty damn good job too.

3. Jussi Tarvainen

Jussi Tarvainen Second Unit

(Waiting for somebody to point out that The Matrix only has DD5.1 audio. [​IMG])

4. Bill Kane

Bill Kane Screenwriter

No, I have a DD Matrix 6.1 and DTS ES decoder in a 5-channel setup without a rear center speaker. On "just" DTS, I dont hear a rear center matrix when I switch on the decoder. That's why I'm thinking the DVD tracks need to come with Matrix 6.1 or DTS ES encoded ?????

5. rodney wiley

rodney wiley Second Unit

Bill if im reading you rite the reason you arent hearing the 6.1 mix is because you have to have a rear center. The DTS matrixed rear info is mixed into the surround channels but is decoded by your receiver for a rear speaker. It seems like you may be thinking of a 6.1 virtual type thing, where the rear channel is virtually reproduced by the surrounds. What type of receiver do you have how many channels of power?

6. Bill Kane

Bill Kane Screenwriter

rod, tks

yes, this is a virtual ap by Yamaha's sound field program in the absense of an actual 6th (discrete) channel. I think I have to twiddle more with Yammie's Movie Theater DSP selections (and read the manual).