1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

DD-EX: Is this how it's supposed to work?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Marc-A B, Nov 7, 2001.

1. Marc-A B

Marc-A B Auditioning

OK, I'm playing the THX Optimizer from the Episode 1:The Phantom Menace DVD to test DD-EX.
    When the left surround is highlighted, sound comes out from that surround AND the rear channel, but the rear channel's volume is lower. (same thing happens for the right surround)
    When the rear is highlighted, sound comes from the rear, and also from both the left and right surround, but the rear is louder than the 2 surrounds.
    I think this is how it's supposed to work since the rear is not a discrete channel, but I'm not 100% sure that sound should be coming out from the surrounds at the same time. Sorry if this is a stupid question, I tried doing a search but couldn't find anything...
    Thanks. [​IMG]

2. Wes

Wes Screenwriter

Wes Peterson
    No this is not how EX is suppose to work. When the EX speaker is highlighted the sound should only come from the EX speaker not the Surround Left or Right. What setup do you have?
    Sounds to me you have a DIY EX that is hooked up incorrectly!
    Wes

3. Marc-A B

Marc-A B Auditioning

Thanks for the response.
    This is actually on my computer, my HT doesn't have a rear channel...
    I wanted to test it since my sound card (Hercules Game Theater XP) can output to 7.1 speakers, and the new version of PowerDVD (4.0 XP) is supposed to have DD Surround EX support.
    Oh well, thanks for clarifying that for me, I guess something isn't set up properly. [​IMG]

4. Tor Arne

Tor Arne Stunt Coordinator

This is what happened with my setup as well. I only have two surround speakers but wanted to try it. As the sound was supposed to be played through the back surround speakers I could also hear a faint sound from the surrounds. I guess this is because the back surround signal is coded into the surround channels, and not seperately like on DTS-ES.
    I have Denon DVD-2800- and AVR-3801-setup!
    ------------------
    Picture of my setup so far:
    http://tahustvedt.homestead.com/files/stue02.jpg
    Visit my stupid website:
    http://spots.flatland.com/tahustvedt/grass/

5. Wes

Wes Screenwriter

Wes Peterson
    Now don't get me wrong, it is not discrete so you will get a very slight sound out of the Surround L/R. But I would say 90% of the sound should be coming from the EX channel!
    Wes