What's new

DD EX/DTS ES question for us 5.1'ers (1 Viewer)

Andy Anderson

Second Unit
A question on the next-gen sound formats:

So--I have always wondered about this--hoping y'all can help out. So, Dolby's DD EX format consists of 5.1 channels, plus a rear center which is matrixed (much like DPL) from sound information from the left and right rears. DTS ES has a discrete rear center. So--if I have a plain-jane 5.1 receiver, if I listen to a DD EX soundtrack, I'm not missing out any sound information because it's matrixed to the left and right rears (correct?). Now, what about DTS ES? If the rear center is a discrete channel, then if I listen with a reciever that is only capable of DD 5.1 and DTS 5.1, am I missing out on any sound information that exists solely in the rear center?

That is to say, given the choice of a DD EX or a DTS ES soundtrack, should I choose the DD EX due to the fact that the center rear is matrixed out side to side, so as not to miss out on any sound information? (DD and DTS quality argument/discussion aside.)

derek

Second Unit
Either option will work similarly with a 5.1 system. See my FAQ for more info. :)

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Andy- The way that a DTS-ES soundtrack is set up is this:

*All* DTS-ES soundtracks have the rear channel matrixed into the surround L + R channels.

DTS-ES discrete soundtracks simply *add* the discrete 7th channel (5.1 = 5+1 = 6; 6.1 = 6+1=7).

(It's not quite as simple as that, but you get the idea.)

DTS-ES discrete soundtracks also have the rear center info matrixed in to the surround L + R channels.

Andy Anderson

Second Unit
Derek-

Very cool FAQ. Great info there.

..and Kevin, thanks for the help--I'm all straightened out now!!

Andy

Earl Simpson

Supporting Actor
Why can't we have a terms section or drop down info button for all these definitions so me and all the others don't keep asking the same questions over and over????

Marty Neudel

Stunt Coordinator
>if I listen with a reciever that is only capable of DD 5.1 and DTS 5.1, am I missing out on any sound information that exists solely in the rear center?<

Andy,

it's important to remember that the surround channels are meant to reproduce sounds that appear to be "around" the viewer, while the back-channel contains sounds that are supposed to be behind the viewer. In other words, a 5.1 setup will give you all the sounds; however, it is incapable of locating them properly.

Marty

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
So--if I have a plain-jane 5.1 receiver, if I listen to a DD EX soundtrack, I'm not missing out any sound information because it's matrixed to the left and right rears (correct?)
Depending on how your rear channels are set up, the matrixed info that would normally go to the center speaker would be created still but placed properly in the center. Almost like a phantom speaker. Mind you the speakers has to be at equal distances and the listener would have to be directly between the speakers with equal distance on each side.

Andy Anderson

Second Unit
Marty/Wes-

Yup, I understand. I'm not at all questioning the format--I think it's awesome--I'll be upgrading later on when the next-gen Marantz receivers come out, or when something else piques my curiosity. (I've had good luck with my SR7000, but probably won't make a move on the x200 series for 2 reasons--(1) weird problems people have been having with them, (2) I just dropped a chunk of change on new speakers and an SVS Ultra!) Anyway, it is indeed a planned future upgrade.

Hey, that leads into another question. All y'all 6.1'ers--what are you using for a rear center? A third rear speaker, or a small center channel? (I use B&W 603 S2's in front, B&W LCR6 S2 center, and B&W 602 S2's in the rear.)

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Andy- For my rear center, I use the "step-down" model from my front center.

Def Tech CLR 2000 up front, CLR 1000B in back.

Both have the exact same drivers as my mains (and surrounds!) at 6.5", but the cabinet is "cheaper".

Wes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Wes Peterson
I have 100% matched DIY speakers (7 to be exact) all the way around and am using two EX/ES speakers which as many call it 7.1 but I still consider it 6.1 or better off EX/ES!

Wes

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks