What's new

DD-EX & DTS-ES encoded movies listing (1 Viewer)

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand
Troy,

On June 28th I posted:
Quote:

And another...
Spy_Kids.jpg

Spy Kids
Release Date: September 18, 2001

According to http://www.smr-home-theatre.org/frames.html?http://www.smr-home-theatre.org/surroundex/surroundex.html

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
Since the official announcement doesn't list audio formats, I would hazard a guess that it will include at least a DTS-ES matrix track like 102 Dalmations.
That's just a hunch coming from Disney's new track record.
Dan

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
It seems that DTS isn't always put the "flag" in the bitstream as well[ES Matrix].
I just tried the Bone Collector,and Pitch Black,no "flag".Same goes to 102 Dalmations.
T2 however has it.
The 6 ES discrete titles I own, all has the "flag".
Wonder Why?
As for The Fight Club.
Peter Staddon of Fox said that it was their first DVD with EX,though it wasn't official.
------------------
"You Hungarians always disagree"

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
Troy,
From all indications, the new DTS-ES discs from Anchor Bay are DTS-ES Discrete 6.1 tracks.
Not sure about The Mexican, but it should have at least a DTS-ES matrix track.
Unbreakable has a DTS-ES matrix track. Disney may not have had an encoder that places flags on the DTS track.
Not that this is an absolute indicator, but Dolby Lab's website does not list The Mexican as a 6.1 movie.
Dan
[Edited last by Dan Hitchman on July 19, 2001 at 11:05 AM]

Garry I

Stunt Coordinator
The DTS and DTS ES titles seem to have a flag, but i actually want to see a dolby EX title with a flag. When is that gonna happen

Perry Sun

Grip
"The Mexican" is Surround EX-encoded (and also DTS-ES compatible). Gary Rydstrom was the lead re-recording mixer, and he has used Surround EX in every film he's worked on since "Star Wars: Episode I." He's very much in favor of it.
One of the annoying aspects of Surround EX is that it's not always easy to know what films actually used it. It's certainly possible for a post facility to have used it for a certain soundtrack and Dolby or no one else knowing about it. "The Mexican" is one of these films, as was "Hollow Man" and others.
If someone out there can convince me through reputable sources that "The Claim" was Surround EX-encoded, I'd greatly appreciate that. :)
------------------
Movie Sound Editor,
Widescreen Reviewwww.widescreenreview.com
[Edited last by Perry Sun on July 20, 2001 at 12:24 AM]
[Edited last by Perry Sun on July 20, 2001 at 12:25 AM]

Troy LaMont

Supporting Actor
Perry,
Thanks for the info (page 1 has been changed to reflect the ES status of The Mexican).
As far as the claim is concerned, I think most of the EX/ES information came from here SMR .
Troy
------------------
No touchy, No touchy (Kuzco)

Troy LaMont

Supporting Actor
Perry,
Thanks for the info (page 1 has been changed to reflect the ES status of The Mexican).
As far as the claim is concerned, I think most of the EX/ES information came from here SMR .
There aren't very many 'reliable' sources for EX/ES information, but they are one on the forefront. The Claim isn't on Dolby's site...
Troy
------------------

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
The DTS and DTS ES titles seem to have a flag, but i actually want to see a
dolby EX title with a flag. When is that gonna happen?
Dolby just released the new encoder for sale that will,insert the flag,on the soundtrack.
Don't know which studio or movie will be the first or when we see it first.

Martin W

Agent
The upcoming german release of The Fifth Element will incorporate an english DTS-ES 6.1-track. It will be released this fall.
That is, if other regions are also welcome on the list... :)
------------------

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
"Maniac," "Opera," "Suspiria," "The Beastmaster," "The Stunt Man," "Vigilante," "The Evil Dead," and "Highlander."
These Anchor Bay titles are in the pipeline for DTS-ES Discrete 6.1 tracks!
Dan

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
You have duplicate entries in the DTS-ES matrix list that are already listed as DTS-ES Discrete 6.1
Chicken Run
Gladiator
The Haunting
Se7en
-------
Opera in the DTS-ES matrix column is incorrect, it is DTS-ES Discrete 6.1.
Unbreakable and Caveman's Valentine are DTS-ES matrix. Even if the studio doesn't take time to prep an "official" DTS-ES matrix or DTS-ES Discrete 6.1 version, the DTS 5.1 track still will contain the center rear matrix (since they'd be using an EX encoded print master). That's how it is on theatrical DTS-ES matrix soundtracks and they still call it DTS-ES.
-------
These other Anchor Bay titles are also DTS-ES Discrete 6.1:
Suspiria
Maniac
Bad Taste
The Stunt Man
Vigilante
Highlander: Director's Cut
The Beastmaster
The Evil Dead
-------
The Mexican may not be DD EX or DTS ES as I have not been able to find any official information on Dolby's website that it was mixed with 6.1 in mind.
Please update this list as some people are getting confused.
Dan
[Edited last by Dan Hitchman on July 28, 2001 at 10:45 AM]

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
Troy,
I'm not trying to nit pick, but I think it would be better (and clearer) if those titles in the DTS-ES Discrete 6.1 column were not repeated in the DTS-ES matrix column.
Dan

Troy LaMont

Supporting Actor
Dan,
Thanks for your input. I choose to keep those in these particular categories because the truth is the titles do contain both a Discrete and Matrix DTS soundtrack (as well as the EX soundtrack). No harm done.
Troy
------------------

Troy LaMont

Supporting Actor
I haven't heard of any more new releases recently.
Anyone else?
Troy
------------------

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks