What's new

DD-EX, DTS-ES - discrete or not (1 Viewer)

Brad_H

Agent
I was reading an article this weekend in the current issue of 'Home Theater' magazine and in a review of the Marantz SR8200 receiver the author (Mark Fleischmann)alluded to the fact that Dolby Digital-EX does not contain a discrete sixth channel, and that DTS-ES comes in two main "flavors": Discrete 6.1 and Matrix 6.1. He also said that the majority of DVD titles with DTS-ES are of the Matrix variety, not discrete.

My point, I was under the assumption this whole time that DD-EX and DTS-ES contained a discrete sixth channel, not a matrixed signal from the two surrounds. Have I been wrong this whole time? Is the EX really a matrixed channel?

Lord help.....

BrianDD

Agent
Yes, DD EX and DTS ES Matrix are not discrete 6.1. Only DTS ES discrete is. There isn't much software out that is true 6.1. T2 Ultimate Edition is a prime example. On the back of the case it says DTS ES 5.1. The surround back is matrixed.

RichardMA

Second Unit
My point, I was under the assumption this whole time that DD-EX and DTS-ES contained a discrete sixth channel, not a matrixed signal from the two surrounds. Have I been wrong this whole time? Is the EX really a matrixed channel?
Yes, you wouldn't want to buy a new receiver just to
get DTS ES Discrete and the very few titles supported by
it. Good thing people making the jump from 5.1 get
other things like DD-EX, DTS-ES Matrix, THX-EX, Pro-Logic II.

Greg Haynes

Supporting Actor
Yes, here is the handful of titles that are true 6.1 DTS-ES discrete:

Gladiator
Seven
Haunting
Chicken Run
Rush Hour 2

I'm sure there a few others that I am missing.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Why the hell did they waste their time with Rush Hour 2?

Anyone have an idea how to find out what titles have been released as FULL Bitrate DTS?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks