DD ex descrete

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Tom D, Dec 16, 2001.

1. Tom D

Tom D Stunt Coordinator

Does anyone know if this is in the works for upcoming processors/receivers. Ie Denon 5802, 3803.

2. Tom D

Tom D Stunt Coordinator

I am considering upgrading to a 6.1/7.1 receiver. Dts originally had matrixed surround back/center just like Dolby does now. Then Dts came out with descrete center rear/back.I have upgraditis, however, I dont want to spend upwards of $1500 now, to find out that 6 mo. from now the latest and greatest is dolby digital 6.1 descrete or bass management for the external line level in for sacd/dvd-a.

3. Dan Hitchman

Dan Hitchman Cinematographer

Don't worry. The guys at Dolby, in their infinite "wisdom," have stated they won't release a decoding format to the home market until they release it to the commercial theaters first.
    We all know how fast theater chains widely adopt the latest and greatest technology. [​IMG]
    Dan

4. Adam Barratt

Adam Barratt Cinematographer

Adam

5. Dan Hitchman

Dan Hitchman Cinematographer

Yes Adam, I had a hunch you'd respond that way. So...

I don't think it's wise in this day and age for the industry to rest on its laurels and use the commercial theater venue to push updated sound systems. They are so slooooow to migrate and now that the business isn't doing that well (Mucho amounts of Chapter 11's and restructurings) they will be even slower to get on the bandwagon of the latest and greatest. What about Klipsch's XPS-4000 theater audio system, as an example? It beats the pants off most THX certified audio systems, but is only trickling out to some chains since they don't want to pay a premium on sound quality.

There is something to be said for getting better performance from a more intimate, near-field mix for professional grade home theaters rather than a large auditorium.

That ought to be a new industry--- audiophile remix facilities that, with the filmmakers' blessing and supervision, can create new state-of-the-art home theater mixes (using very high quality home speakers like Dunlavy or B&W Nauticals, and proper acoustically treated/calibrated rooms) at 6.1, 7.1, 10.2 channels, etc. for home use (then all we need is a high quality format like DSD with enough channels to acomplish what the filmmaker wants for the new and improved home mix). Mi Casa Production House is, in a slightly more limited way, doing that for some New Line Cinema home video versions.

Better than dubbing stage/commercial theater sound. I'm all for that. Why not you, and why not Dolby Labs and THX?

Dan

6. Andrew Beck

Andrew Beck Stunt Coordinator

Aren't all these extra channels starting to get a bit silly? I see the point in 5.1 and 6.1/7.1 systems seem to make sense, but isn't anything over that going to be overkill? especially in most homes. I think that 5.1 is probably going to be the standard for a long long time in most consumer products with only those of us in the know going with a 6.1 or 7.1 system. I myself have the capablility for 6.1 or 7.1 with my outlaw, but still use the standard 5.1.

7. Adam Barratt

Adam Barratt Cinematographer

Adam

8. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

9. Marty Neudel

Marty Neudel Stunt Coordinator

I would expect to see stereo back-channels before an EX-discrete format. There had been rumors that StarWars2 would introduce this format. However, given the slowdown in the economy (first in Japan, then in the U.S., and now signaling itself in Europe), we are not all that likely to experience a continuation in the level of technical advances(?) that we have seen in the past decade.

Marty

10. Darryl_B

Darryl_B Stunt Coordinator