DD-EX decoding with Sony STR-DA2ES

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Craig_Kg, Dec 21, 2002.

1. Craig_Kg

Craig_Kg Supporting Actor

I have just got a Sony STR-DB1080 which is known in the US as the STR-DA2ES and have had problems getting the receiver to use the surround back channel on DD-EX soundtracks. With LoTR:FoTR, I was able to get the dts-ES discrete track to be recognised as 6.1 without a problem but the DD-EX track would only play as 5.1 unless I used the 'matrix' setting for the surround back decoding. According to the manual, DD-EX flagged soundtracks should activate the matrix decoder in the 'auto' setting but I can't get this to work (I tried SWII:AoTC as well). Is there any solution to this besides manually switching to 'matrix' each time?

2. JonStern

JonStern Agent

For Star Wars I and II, which are DD EX, my Denon 3803 receiver doesn't turn on its DD EX light, so I have to enable the rear surrounds and select Matrix decoding manually. I've read on this forum that the DD EX flag is not always automatically recognized.

3. Craig_Kg

Craig_Kg Supporting Actor

Thanks Jon, that makes me feel much better [​IMG]

4. StephenL

StephenL Second Unit

Very few (5?) EX encoded DVDs have the EX flag that automatically engages EX processing. Several DVD titles were produced with the EX flag, but it caused audio dropouts on some receivers and processors that use Cirrus Logic CS49300 chipsets.