1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

DD EX and THX EX....

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Paul Chiappini, Jun 14, 2002.

1. Paul Chiappini

Paul Chiappini Stunt Coordinator

I have an Onkyo 898 with THX EX, but no Dolby Digital EX. Is THX essentially the same thing, or should I be looking to get something with DD EX?

Thanks,
    Paul

2. John E F

John E F Stunt Coordinator

Its basically the same. THX-EX does the same for the rear surrounds as DD-EX but incorporates the other THX processing features at the same time. Some people prefer not to use the THX features while others do. Originally, the "EX" feature was a joint venture between Dolby and THX. You don't need to get a new "Dolby Digital EX" receiver if you like the one you have as it already has it.

3. Bhagi Katbamna

Bhagi Katbamna Supporting Actor

THX-EX was the first matrixed 6.1 technology licenced by Dolby labs. Dolby then later licensed DD-EX for non THX certified products. THX-EX includes Cinema EQ, decorrelation, and timbre matching whereas DD-EX probably does not. Now I am not saying the THX-EX is better or worse but listing what it includes.