DD/DTS Upgrade Help

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John_P, Aug 22, 2001.

1. John_P

John_P Agent

I have an older (1995 ?) Onkyo reciever TX-SV919THX that I am using in my bedroom. This reciever is great except it only decodes Pro Logic. I want to add an external dd/dts decoder. Does any one know where I can find an external decoder and the patch cable (I think it is a 25 pin to 5 RCA)? Thanks for any help.
    John

2. John_P

John_P Agent

Anyone ?

3. PomingF

PomingF Second Unit

Do a search & look for Phil Hamm. He has the same receiver and has been using the Technics decoder. Have you consider a DVD player with both decoders on board?
    PF

4. John_P

John_P Agent

PomingF,
    Thanks for the reply, I will search on Phil Hamm, (whenever the search functions is ever available !). I tried to hook a Panny A310 to it and was unimpressed with the results. It may have been mt problem however. Have you ever used this type of setup ?

5. PomingF

PomingF Second Unit

Both Phil & I responded to the 'Onkyo Receiver' post and you can look him up from there. I have the 939 with DD only and have to add a standalone DTS decoder without any problem. In general it's better to have the decoder with the receiver than player for input flexibility & bass management purposes.
    PF