DD/DTS receiver under $400

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ben Scott, Feb 20, 2002.

1. Ben Scott

Ben Scott Auditioning

Well, this is my first post, so I'll just have to explain my situation.

I'm a high school student with a budget of $400 max. I'd like a DD/DTS receiver. Split use, about half and half for music and movies, but I want good clean sound and nice bass for both. I've been looking at the Denon 1802, the Sony 875, and JVC 8010. Any other suggestions. For use in a room about 16 x 20 feet.

2. Eujin

Eujin Supporting Actor

Of the three receivers you mentioned, I'd go with the Denon any day over the JVC or Sony--especially if you have a 50/50 split between music and movies. I'm not much of Denon guy (I don't dislike them, I'm just not in love with them), but that's what I'd pick of the three.

Other receivers to consider are:

Onkyo 494 or 595

Harman/Kardon AVR 320

I'm currently using the AVR 320, but be forewarned that there is an issue with the LFE level on DTS tracks that you may or may not be able to live with. See the thread on the AVR 520 for more info about this. The 320 is also about $100 more than you want to spend, so it might be out altogether, but if can swing it, you should definitely do an audition. Otherwise, the 1802 and either of the Onkyos would be very fine choices. If you want pre-outs, then it's a no-brainer: go with Denon (even if it only has them for L,R and C). Good luck!

3. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Also consider the Marantz SR4200.

4. EricHaas

EricHaas Supporting Actor

In your price range, I might wait a few weeks for the new Onkyo 600. It will have an MSRP of $525, but probably street for $400. It will be seriously loaded. Six amped channels, DD EX, DTS ES etc.

5. Matt Stryker

Matt Stryker Screenwriter

Of the three, I'd say go Denon. You may also check around to see if anyone has anymore Pioneer 709s left (Sams Club,. Costco and some etailers may). Internally nearly identical to their Elite line; check this thread for details:
    http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...ht=Pioneer+709
    For B-stock Outlaw 1050s, just email the Outlaw Company and ask, they will tell you what they've got.