DD & DTS from a Dolby Pro-logic Receiver?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Wayne McRae, Sep 12, 2002.

1. Wayne McRae

Wayne McRae Stunt Coordinator

Guys, I need your help on something I know nothing about. My good buddy has a B-day on Saturday and we want to get him a DVD player. A local B&M shop has a Sony that has a DD and DTS decoder built into the DVD player. He has a Yammy RXV-850 which is only Pro-logic. My question is:will he get full DD & DTS when he hooks up the DVD player to the Yammy, or does he need a new receiver to go digital. Thanks in advance for any help.

2. Evan Hartnett

Evan Hartnett Stunt Coordinator

If it's a "dolby digital ready" receiver he'll be all set. I doubt it is though, I searched on google to see if I could find any info about that receiver and one of the results (there weren't very many) said something about that receiver being released in 1991.

3. LewB

LewB Screenwriter

You sure it's an RXV-850 ? I just tried looking it up on the Yamaha web page and could not find it.
    I believe that if the decoder(s) are built into the DVD, then it outputs the audio via "5.1" outputs. That means 6 connectors from the DVD player (5 full frequency and 1 LFE) that need to be connected to the receiver. The receiver would have to be 'Dolby Digital' ready, meaning that it has the inputs for the 6 outputs from the DVD player. Hope that helps.

4. Wayne McRae

Wayne McRae Stunt Coordinator

I know that this receiver is not DD ready. I sold it to him 5 years ago[​IMG] We will just get him a regular DVD player and he can upgrade his receiver down the road. Thanks for you help guys[​IMG]

5. Manny_S

Manny_S Stunt Coordinator

I have an RXV-850 sitting in the garage. It's many years old. More than 7 years old. It's only a Dolby Pro-Logic receiver. Last month I finally replaced it with a Denon 3802. He's in need of a similar upgrade. Get him the Panasonic RP-62 or RP-82. In his birthday card write, "Buddy, I hope you enjoy this new DVD player, but you seriously need to consider upgrading your receiver to truly enjoy this gift. [​IMG]"