DD/DTS DVD player with smooth layer change?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Al_S, Mar 15, 2002.

1. Al_S

Al_S Second Unit

Are there any good DVD players with DTS decoding built in that have enough memory to handle layer changes smoothly? I'm looking to spend less than $500.

2. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

Al although the lenght of the layer changer can be affected by the player most of ithas to do with where the layerchange is located on the disc itself. What I mean is if the layerchange is located in the middle of dialog or an action scene you'll notice it every single time. If however its located between scenes its much less noticable...unfortunatly for some reason DVD authors are still putting layer changes in bad spots[​IMG] All that said there are some players that are faster then others. The fastest players are those that use a DVD-ROM transport like the Apex players...unfortunalty those players also tend to have poor image quality compared to the normal units.

3. Ken Seeber

Ken Seeber Supporting Actor

Denon's DVD players have memory buffers to eliminate or minimize noticable layer changes. You'll need to check Denon's Web site to find which model has onboard DTS decoding.

4. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    i hear NUON-equipped players also have memory buffers that'll rid layer changes

5. Ron Alcasid

Ron Alcasid Stunt Coordinator

Al_S, you might check the Denon 1600. It has all the features you requested. No one has actually seen one so it's actual performance is unknown. It's slightly more than you want to spend at $549 SRP.

6. Al_S

Al_S Second Unit

Thanks guys, I'll check out the Denons. Any others?

7. David Wood

David Wood Auditioning

The layer changes with Kenwood's newer players are sloooooooow. DVD-ROM drives (and those players, like Denon that have such drives) are much faster.

8. Jeff

Jeff Supporting Actor

Of course the trade off is, with Denon you get glitches.

9. Jeff Pryor

Jeff Pryor Supporting Actor

I've got an RCA model I purchased in '99 with a DTS decoder, and this thing is very fast with layer transitions, about a 1 second pause.