DD & DTS decoding source question.

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Tod Golden, Oct 17, 2003.

1. Tod Golden

Tod Golden Stunt Coordinator

May 3, 2003
    This may sound like a stupid question but here goes. If both my DVD player and my AV receiver both have a built in DD & DTS decoder, how do I specify which component does the decoding? Or, is this an irrelevant question and it does not matter.

The two components are a JVC XV-M567 DVD and a Pioneer VSX-810 Reciver connected via coax digital cable.

Thanks in advance for the input.

2. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

Aug 19, 2002
    To have the receiver do the decoding, connect your digital (optical or coaxial) out from the DVD player to your digital in on the receiver. Set the DVD player to output "bitstream" and "DTS" and set your receiver to input digital (probably an "auto" setting).

To have the DVD do the decoding, you must purchase 6 audio interconnect cables. Connect your 5.1 analogue outs on the DVD to the 5.1 analogue in on the receiver. Set your DVD to output to the analogue 5.1 and your receiver to input through the analogue 5.1.

Of the two, most prefer the receiver to do the decoding because the receiver usually has better DAC's and bass management, and it is far less expensive to buy an optical or coax connector than 3 sets (2 cables each) of good audio cable. I agree.